Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Subscribed Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im trying to attace a pod of led's to the plastic just above the cupholders and below the A/C controls. Its the "Textured super thick Plastic" Ive tried super glue, hot glue and epoxy, but nothing sticks to the plastic. The Epoxy came off due to heat today. Any one ever glue something to this plastic stuff?

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
3M double sided tape. works great.

·
Subscribed Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i forgot to mention that i tried tape, but it wouldnt stick. I even preped the surface with alcohal (spelling???)

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Nope, that's just knowing that, that glue, is stronger than super glue. And..........if that doesnt work then you're pretty much out of luck....heh. BTW, maybe try sanding the surface of the plastic down a bit, just to give it some texture to cling to.

·
Subscribed Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good idea about the sanding, because its not strenght thats the problem, only adhesian

·
Registered
133 Posts
ok since you are going to sand it then your not worried about how it looks if you ever have to take it off. So.... drill a few holes through the plastic part and when you glue or epoxy the part on make sure the glue goes through the holes and out the other side. Make sure there is enough glue on the back side though, otherwise it would be pointless.

O

·
0 Posts
double sided tape by 3m works great. first make sure the surface is clean. the next step is to heat the tape with a heat gun or hair dryer before you put the tape on the surface. attach your lights and then heat it again. doing this will make anything stick, just make sure the surface is clean

·
Registered
872 Posts
go to home depot buy acetone, and ask for a rod of abs plastic. then cut the rod with a razor blade into the smallest pieces possible and then put the acetone in a poland spring bottel and then add the shavings. close the bottle and let sit over night. You should then have a pasty substance. place the substance between the two objects and let sit over night. Make sure to add pressure

·
Subscribed Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that sounds like a plan!

Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with that?

·
Registered
113 Posts
drsnoze,

I recently recovered my door panels and used a crap load of hot glue to get them back on, when it gets hot they tend to give a little bit. Would that acetone trick help keep them in place better?

tazz

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
The acetone thing works, but takes time, I use it for acrylic work, and it makes strong optically clear glue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts