Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just noticed something upon bringing the truck into the garage for misc look over and minor maintenance. Engine warm, fully up to temperature, turned off. Pop the hood. While the engine is cooling I can hear very distinctive POP, few minutes in between. Seems to be coming from the top side of the engine.
Absolutely, used to hearing minor ticks and creaks as exhaust system cools. This is something else. Much much louder and a POP, like blowing and popping a lunch bag kind of sound.
i am left wondering if this could be coming from the intake manifold and whether it is a known issue on the 4.7 as it ages. Normal or signs of impending doom? Any thoughts, comments, ideas?
The truck is a 2005 Dakota 4.7 auto 4wd.

·
I hate you people.
2,799 Posts
Yeah, there has been a few threads about the 4.7 intake manifolds causing issues and it has been on older models such as yours. Yes, a popping noise coming from the intake manifold is not something to ignore, because if it is backfiring, then that can cause an engine fire if there is a leak between the heads and manifold.
The 4.7 intake manifold uses an O-ring gasket to seal the intake manifold runners to the heads. Usually lasts longer than the old cork rubber gaskets but due to the heat-cool cycles over time, the O-ring material does eventually break down. If you check the manifold bolts, make sure they are tight, that may be why you are hearing a popping noise.
IDK where you can get the gaskets for the manifold to head gaskets but I would consider getting them because you may be pulling the manifold anyway.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok. I do not believe to be backfiring. Truck engine is running great. No issues whatsoever, other than meager fuel economy. It sounds like thermal movement as the engine cools. Probably some movement in the bolt(s) holding the manifold on. I will check them. Otherwise I guess to brace myself for a vacuum leak symptom sometime in near future from possible crack in the manifold. Time to proactively shop for a new replacement manifold?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not heard any pops for quite awhile.
When doing other work yesterday, I may have found the source/cause of the pops heard that day. The passenger side exhaust manifold has a nice clean through crack in it. Right in the middle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts