Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone Ever Have Their Intake Manifold Gasket Get Sucked Into Their Motor. I Have An R/t And It Smokes Like Hell And Sucks Down A Lot Of Oil. A Mechanic Told Me That Was The Problem.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
The OEM "beer barrel" intake manifold is a two-piece design, it has a plenum plate (aka belly plate) which bolts up to the underside of the manifold, the gasket that is used for that plate is pretty thin and it fails on a relatively high number of vehicles. You can tell if this has happened by removing your air intake system, twisting your throttle body linkage to open up the blades, and then look down into your intake manifold with a flashlight (do all of this with the vehicle off). If the belly pan gasket has blown out you will see a significant amount of oily residue on the bottom of the manifold plenum.

If you're under warranty you may want to just have the dealership fix the problem. Many people (especially out of warranty) have decided that since the entire manifold has to come out to perform the repair, they might as well replace the manifold with the M1 2bbl model instead. Some enthusiast-friendly dealerships will even let you provide an M1 as a replacement for the manifold and they will install it instead without charging any extra, although you will most likely void any remaining warranty on the engine.

Another alternative is to retain the OEM manifold but buy an upgraded billet belly pan (available from Hughes Engines or APS Precision), they tend to seal up better over the long run.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
STALLETTI said:
Anyone Ever Have Their Intake Manifold Gasket Get Sucked Into Their Motor. I Have An R/t And It Smokes Like Hell And Sucks Down A Lot Of Oil. A Mechanic Told Me That Was The Problem.
ya, what SinCity said... very, very common prob on all Magnum V-8 and V-6 motors. no recall and was fixed under warranty if the truck was still under it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts