Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got all the nuts and bolts and gaskets I need to install my headers (got a SCREAMING deal, JBA knock-off's)

I have the passenger side up, wheel off, wheel well out and penetrant soaking at the moment. What a gravy job this is going to be. I never imagined an exhaust manifiold could be so easily accessed!

Pics to come!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. The guy pretty said it couldn't be done easily. I know he was full of BS, but seeing as how I don't really care anyway, it didn't bother me to not have to pay to have them removed!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I got the passenger side done. I had to pull it two times to modify the bolt holes for a good fit. Finally got it on.

Pulled the drivers side, did a test fit first this time, marked what direction the holes needed elongated, pulled it and made the changes.

I have one more bolt to get in, then connect the pipe to the header, and it'll be all done. Well, almost.

In order to access, I removed the fender wells. Te clips were destroyed in the process, so I am running without fender wells until I can get to the dealer with cash to buy all the clips, that no doubt will be $3 each...

I may need to pull the drivers side one more time tomorrow to fix that last hole that isn't lining up right.

There is something to be said for buying name brand, but it was well worth the trouble I am going through to save over $500 on a set of headers!

The most dissapointing part is that I fired her up for a second after the firt side was complete. The sound was no different whatsoever. I was hoping for a better sound, but I guess the sound comes from the rest of the system, huh?

Pics en route...

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
well at least ya got them installed .. :biggthump I'm thinking about headers but its a V6.. so why?...lol :jester:

·
Registered
176 Posts
BlackDak said:
Well, I got the passenger side done. I had to pull it two times to modify the bolt holes for a good fit. Finally got it on.

Pulled the drivers side, did a test fit first this time, marked what direction the holes needed elongated, pulled it and made the changes.

I have one more bolt to get in, then connect the pipe to the header, and it'll be all done. Well, almost.

In order to access, I removed the fender wells. Te clips were destroyed in the process, so I am running without fender wells until I can get to the dealer with cash to buy all the clips, that no doubt will be $3 each...

I may need to pull the drivers side one more time tomorrow to fix that last hole that isn't lining up right.

There is something to be said for buying name brand, but it was well worth the trouble I am going through to save over $500 on a set of headers!

The most dissapointing part is that I fired her up for a second after the firt side was complete. The sound was no different whatsoever. I was hoping for a better sound, but I guess the sound comes from the rest of the system, huh?

Pics en route...
No need to goto a dealer for the inner fender clips. Just goto your local auto-parts store. They sell them in the "HELP!" section. Around $4 for a package.

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Awesome! I never noticed how much uve actually done to ur truck, put some rims on it and i think its TOM material. I love the PDA thing in the center console :biggthump

·
Registered
82 Posts
BlackDak said:
What a gravy job this is going to be.

Famous last words? :jester: Never assume a header install will be a piece of cake...it almost surely guarantees there will be a problem. ;)

I assume the rest of the exhaust is stock? A Magnaflow muffler would really help free up some ponies and the sound would be awesome...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am unimpressed.

The headers don't sound any different at all (unless you count the exhaust tick now because I stripped out a bolt hole in the head - goddammit).

They also don't seem to have made any difference power-wise.

All in all, I can't even tell they are there. I am pretty bummed about the hole thing.

The flip side is I can now say, anytime someone asks, that cheap headers are not worth the trouble. I had to make a lot of changes to the holes in the flanges to get them to line up right, which meant putting them in and taking them back out a coupe times. Thank god it was relatively easy with the wells removed.

Received some bad news about my grandfather, but at least it will mean new headers (good ones) and a true dual exhaust system in the next few weeks. Not to mention having the (I think two) stripped hole(s) in the heads repaired.

In any case, they are in, but nothin' to write home about!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.