Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I believe my thermostat is stuck open on my 97 3.9L. It takes forever to warm up and doesn't hold temp like it used to. I just wanted to know if I have to drain the entire system to change the thermostat. I know all i have to do is take off the upper hose and i would do it cold but will i have a problem with fluid spilling out or with air getting into the system that i would have to be bled out? thanks in advance
btw what should i change? just a 195 tstat and gasket or should i get the housing too? thank you

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had low coolant and just took the hose off, barely anything came out. So you could just let a bit spill out and be fine.

When I took my thermostat out I had to redo my gasket/seal and having the fluid all around it made it a bit harder. I had to clean it and everything and put some RTV there as well (the metal was pitted BAD).

I dont think you need to replace your housing but you wont know till you take it off. It should be good but its also easy to replace if you prebuy your parts, say from rockauto.
To get more heat, you need to have warmer coolant. So a 195 (say over 180) would be better in my opinion. Also if this doesnt fix it, then you know it has to do with your core (the mini radiator it blows the heat off of). And considering a thermostat is a cheap fix, I would do that first on an older vehicle because the core change is not fun at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts