Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2 piece grille insert, which is supposed to be the the full replacement, not just the bolt over, however, it came with no installation instructions.

I looked at my grill, and can't figure out for the life of me how to install them. From what I can see, there is no place to bolt them on. The stock ones are held in place by little plastic nuglets.

Any idea on how to install them?

Attachments

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
u take out the black shit and i believe u just get some self tapping screws and put it onto the bracket.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ya...you'll have to break off the plastic rivets holding in the stock grill to pull it out. Then I'm assuming the grill you bought came with mounting hardware (but mabye not if it didn't come with instructions). I have a different style metal mesh grill and it came with clips that hold it in place.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Previous owner had mesh inserts for the grille. He used drywall screws! LOL!

·
Registered
76 Posts
It did come with some brackets, but I don't see anywhere to attach them too still.
I installed this same grill over a year ago:

As said above, you first have to cut out the black plastic rivets and remove the stock plastic grill insert (I used a dremel):

Then I used self tapping metal screws to screw it into the black metal tubes that attach the stock grill to the hood.

completed:

Did your grill come with the hood release extension so you can easily open the hood latch? (if not you can make one outta coat hanger).

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
mine also got screwed into the tube but mine is one big piece. and no need to dremel off the black things...just grab and pull.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So im just now trying to get this installed again, but its just not gonna work. I dont know WTF my problem is lol. It should be fairly easy.

The problem that I am having is when I place the insert in through the back, it rests on the back part of the grille, and it doesnt fit the mounting tabs to the tube. There is about a .75" gab between the tabs and the tube. And if I could secure it, then the hood wouldn't close because there isnt enough space behind it to clear. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im wondering if I should just start modding the inserts. Take the skinny wheel to some of the bars so that I can slide in through the grille a little more and make it fit secure to the tubing that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.