Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JVC headunit that i wanted to put in my 02 durango with the infinity system. I bought the wiring harness and connected everything. When i plugged it in to the new headunit everything works fine but theres no sound. Do i have to do somthing special to engage the stock infinity amp? Also do i need an adaptor for the radio antenna, and is there any adaptor so i dont lose the steering wheel controls? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
277 Posts
we need a little more info here..... what specifically is or is not happening? you shouldnt have any problems running the aftermarket HU with the factory amp. the antenna should also fit but it has some little bumps that have to go in a certain way, an antenna extender/adaptor might help you to maneuver it around a little more. as far as your steering wheel controls you will need to purchase a sw1-x adapter for about 70 bucks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured it out. I didnt have the remote wire hooked up. Thanks for the reply though. Where can i find this sw1-x adaptor online?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
MoparDrvnFiremn said:
I also would like to know about this sw1-x adapter :biggthump
I always just assumed it wasn't possible

guess that is what you get for assuming :jester:

yes, please do tell.

·
Registered
277 Posts
PAC Model #SW1-X - Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface
This universal "learning" remote allows you to retain the use of steering wheel or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit. It will interface most aftermarket stereos into most vehicles with steering wheel or rear seat audio controls, and works with virtually all aftermarket radios with wireless infrared remote capability using the common 38-40kHz carrier frequency. It also retains the use of heater control buttons on GM vehicles. The SWI-X is so universal that you only need one SKU# to cover over 95% of the vehicles made from 1986 to current. New vehicles coming out every year? No problem! Never be stuck with a vehicle specific type interface.

• Works for all major brand radios, including Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Blaupunkt, Eclipse, Panasonic, Rockford, Sanyo or just about any other brand out there.
• You can assign the buttons on the steering wheel to any infrared function on the remote, so you are never stuck with specific functions you don't want.
• With select Alpine headunits, the SWI-X can be modified to directly plug into the remote port of the Alpine headunit.
• Covers Ford, GM, Chrysler / Dodge, Acura, Audi, BMW, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Honda, Hummer, Infiniti, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lincoln, Mazda, Mercury, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, Toyota, Volkswagan, and Harley Davidson motor cycles.
http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/car/accessories/remotes.htm

F

·
0 Posts
For the swx-1 to work, you need a cd player that has a remote control to program the unit as it is basically a learning remote that uses you steering wheel buttons to control it. You also have to mount an led somewhere in your truck pointing at the cd player. My opinion would be up in the overhead console pointing down.
This is not an easy piece to use as I have found the reliability rate of PAC pieces to be about 50% at best. I havent used them for a while so who knows, mabey they worked out all the bugs.
Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
they are a pain in the ass. havent installed one myself but know an installer that has done a few of them. and yes on 2002 and up chrysler and dodges you need an ant adapter

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
The lens doesnt need to be pointed right at the radio because it is a radio frequency, not infared. We install ours right in the dash kit above the radio facing right towards the back. They seem to work great for us. Unless you have a steering wheel that has climate controls as well as radio controls, then it's a real pain. :cussing:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I used to have one of those PAC things in my Durry in 2001. It was a pain. I finally ditched it. The transmitter wasn't very strong, and in bright sunlight my head unit never got the signal.

·
3,954 Posts
PAC is just the company that makes it, and yes they are a middle grade manufacturer. But we've never had a problem yet with one not working. Sometimes they are a pain to program correctly, like I installed one in an Aurora and everytime you'd turn the volume up the heat would turn up. HA HA But I figured it out.

It's not required though, ya know, it's not hard to bend over and push the buttons on the radio, or use the remote that came with it. It's a convenience thing. So if it doesn't work...oh well.

F

·
0 Posts
As far as the antenna adapter, all you need is an extension from the pass kickpanel. This is where it changes from the standard motorola plug to that weird ass chrysler plug.
A 3' extension is cheaper than the adapter.

·
3,954 Posts
YUP! :biggthump But most people spend the extra few bucks so they dont have to fish an antenna wire behind the glovebox.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The extension cable will not work :sorry: . They're designed with a male and a female end. Older body styles had a male end on the body side and a female on the dash side. Staring in 02, DC screwed us :cussing: by going with a male on the dash side and a female on the body side. Last I checked, you can't plug two female connectors together. I ran into this same problem with my 02QC. It was even worse since I had to pull out the dash cable and reroute it to my DVD players processor under the seat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts