Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i'm getting a set of codes.... P0203, P0204, P0207 and P0208
cylinders 3, 4, 7 and 8 injector bank output driver does not respond properly to the control signal

it happend first as i was heading up a grade. then after 3 times of starting and stoping the engine, the code went off.

drove 400 miles from southern ca to nor cal last night, and it came back on.

only real issues i've seen is a little be it surging at about 60-70 mph. the rpms will bounce from 2100 to 2400 and back 3 or 4 times.

typically i cant even feel or hear any difference, once in a while i can feel a little power change.

so, whats the issue? dirty injectors? bad computer? bad fuel?

·
I hate you people.
2,787 Posts
Could be bad fuel but the surging up and down sounds like a messed up voltage regulator to the fuel pump which will eventually kill the pump.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It would be weird to me that 4 injector drivers in the pcm are going bad all at once but it could happen I guess. The pcm isn't smart enough on this vehicle to determine if the injector is dirty/clogged so you can count out dirty injectors as the cause of the codes. That is pretty much gonna leave you with a wiring problem, specifically the power splice pack for the injectors that is located in the wiring harness itself, it supplies power to the injectors from a common source. You may also have a ASD relay that is going bad on you, it supplies the voltage to the injectors.

B

·
0 Posts
The surging problem sounds more like a bad TPS, but don't know how that would cause the injector codes. :huh:

Could be bad fuel but the surging up and down sounds like a messed up voltage regulator to the fuel pump which will eventually kill the pump.
:jester: I get a real kick out of some your 'troubleshooting' advice!! Sometimes it's best to just keep you mouth shut if you don't know WTF you're talking about!! :jester:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, wasn't sure if the problem were related or not. figured i'd post everything just in case.

I'll take a look at the TPS for the surging issue.

and i'll start tracking wires for the possible code issues.

if it was just one side of the motor for the codes i could see that. but with just 2 from each side, it may be harder to track.

and the cel went off yesterday (after 3 starts) so we'll see how long it takes for it to come back on. or if for some reason, it just really didn't like that long drive LOL

·
I hate you people.
2,787 Posts
I assumed his surging at that mph was coincidence to what my parents Suburban experienced a few years back.
It had gone through two fuel pumps from the dealer they bought it from(38 miles away) and it start surging then finally stall. We were supposed to go on a trip to Arkansas that next week and this was a huge impedance. It wasn't until we went to another dealer that a fuel pump in stock and come to find there is a voltage regulator in series with the fuel pump that was frying the pumps. I will have to go see where that receipt is at.
Just looked at my Haynes manual and the regulator is in the PCM, :eek:wned:.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I assumed his surging at that mph was coincidence to what my parents Suburban experienced a few years back.
It had gone through two fuel pumps from the dealer they bought it from(38 miles away) and it start surging then finally stall. We were supposed to go on a trip to Arkansas that next week and this was a huge impedance. It wasn't until we went to another dealer that a fuel pump in stock and come to find there is a voltage regulator in series with the fuel pump that was frying the pumps. I will have to go see where that receipt is at.
Just looked at my Haynes manual and the regulator is in the PCM, :eek:wned:.
The GM dealer that worked on your Suburban gave you a line of B.S. I am very well versed in the GM trucks and they put no sort of voltage regulator in line with the fuel pump.

The voltage regulator that is in the pcm on the Dodge vehicles is for the alternator. It sends out a duty cycle voltage signal to the alternator to turn the alternator on and off to keep the battery charged

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
This is a good one and I agree with l1tech about checking your connectors. All the computer can see is what the driver is doing.

The weird thing is that none of those injectors share anything in common with each other except being the same cylinders on opposite sides of the engine. The common on them is shared by all(not sure but I imagine the pcm controls ground).

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
This is a good one and I agree with l1tech about checking your connectors. All the computer can see is what the driver is doing.

The weird thing is that none of those injectors share anything in common with each other except being the same cylinders on opposite sides of the engine. The common on them is shared by all(not sure but I imagine the pcm controls ground).
They all share a common power wire, the injectors always have 12 volts going to them and then the pcm controls the ground side of the injector to turn them on and off

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That's what I figured. I knew the common was the same for all but not what it was for sure.

Still, can't think of anything that separates those 4 cylinders from the other 4. They aren't right after each other in the firing order or anything, well, 3, 4, and 8 are but 7 is off by itself.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That's what I figured. I knew the common was the same for all but not what it was for sure.

Still, can't think of anything that separates those 4 cylinders from the other 4. They aren't right after each other in the firing order or anything, well, 3, 4, and 8 are but 7 is off by itself.
When it comes to wiring and factory splicing all bets are off...they get real creative.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts