Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
the blue blur...
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have never messed with the stuff and dont know anything as far as how to do it properly. can you guys recommend some sources of info to help me out? books or process guides about custom interior pieces? i'm wanting to start doing some custom interior stuff but i dont want to pay someone else labor if i can do it decently. any tips, tricks, sources, etc. is greatly appreciated. it doesnt look hard from what i've seen...how true is that? thanks guys.

·
ಠ_ಠ ლ(ಠ益ಠ&#
1,562 Posts
fiberglassforums.com

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
fiberglassforums.com
That's the ticket.... the guys there are great. A lot of pro's that do it for a living. If your building an enclosure ..buy the tutorial the sell
(download) and you'll learn alot.

If your looking to smooth out your interior pieces....dash, pillar covers, door panels without speakers you don't need to glass them. Sand sand sand, prime prime prime. some of the build pic's on my web site might help.

http://obsessivecompulsivedakota.com/

Coop

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
Coop, that is just some sick work. Do you have any trim rings that go into the back holes that fit the regular 6.5's? I just took out my interior and noticed they just drilled them into the sheetmetal. Oh well. They have been in there for about 5 years anyway. They also drilled into the cone too, idiots. To bad or maybe to good they went out of business.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Hey thanks!

No I don't bro..... You talking about the rear cc panels?

Coop

·
the blue blur...
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool. I'm lookin at doin a custom center console and adding some dimensions to my door panels. Maybe just paint the dash and stuff. It's gonna be a slow process for sure. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Yea, just trying to do it right now that I have everything out.
If I remember correctly the stock cc panel mids screw right to the sheetmetal and there's a extender or filler piece on the back of the cc panel that flushes up to the speaker flange

Coop

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
If I remember correctly the stock cc panel mids screw right to the sheetmetal and there's a extender or filler piece on the back of the cc panel that flushes up to the speaker flange

Coop
On mine its just screwed into the sheetmetal and nothing behind it. They might of pulled the back part off.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
What do you mean by nothing behind it? If i remember that's the way the stockers were....screwed right to the sheet metal.

Coop

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
03SXT....Cool beans, if i can help with some direction..hit me up

Coop

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
What do you mean by nothing behind it? If i remember that's the way the stockers were....screwed right to the sheet metal.

Coop
I think I have some crap Sony Xplod speakers back there. So when they removed the stockers they removed that backing you were saying about.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
No the filler piece is on the back of the plastic trim panel.... between the pane and the FRONT of the speaker flange. There mighta been a gasket of some sort between the speaker and sheetmetal, but i don't remember it

Coop

·
10 Second Club
4,009 Posts
No the filler piece is on the back of the plastic trim panel.... between the pane and the FRONT of the speaker flange. There mighta been a gasket of some sort between the speaker and sheetmetal, but i don't remember it

Coop
Oh, the small screen on the side panel. Yea that is gone too. haha. I might put some dynamat down and put a trim ring on that and bolt the speaker in. Just looks sloppy right now. Thinking for the back of just putting a flat board all the way across and just offseting the 10 in sub to the side and the amp on the other side. I don't know. The center does not leave a lot of room to make it deeper. I can go higher since the rear seats are no longer going to be there anyway.

·
Doesnt Afraid of Anything
6,051 Posts
well, i can tell you its just like anyhthing else... cant imagine its to hard> but:
prep work, sanding and more prep is key...

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Check out the rear panel build on my web site. I built enclosures and set them into the CC panels to house my 12's. I also have 2 10's under my rear seat.

I'm going to bed....maybe I'll catch ya tomorrow.

Coop

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Not any different than doing a fender....your right, like anything else prep work is key. Anyone can paint a car... Making it look flat as glass seperates the men from the boys. Seperates the guys who take the time from the guys who don't. I guide coat blocked the nova 3 times before I shot it.

That's why some paint jobs only cost a grand and others 5 grand or more...

Coop

·
the blue blur...
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea, i started reading up on the process.....doesnt look too bad. like said, alot of prep seems to be key. and painting is another thing i wanna get into...i already know a good bit about it, just dont have the money for a decent gun kit, or a big enough compressor, or a good place to spray. one day....one day....

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Yah....you'll need a compressor, some air tools and a place to work, the rest is just time and patience. Good Luck

Coop

1 - 19 of 19 Posts