Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Old SchooL'!
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok gurus sp? I have 1 blown factory infinity speaker in my door I believe these are 6 1/2' speakers??? where do I find one to replace it??? because I heard you can't replace it with any other speaker without bypassing the infinity amp :help: please I don't wanna f*#k nothing up!!!

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
I recently had the same problem. I just replaced ALL 4 speakers with these Alpine speakers. They were a direct bolt on. They even have the wire connectors. The problem I have now is the factory amp doesn't have enough balls to drive them hard. I like my heavy metal music loud. So now I'm installing a Audiobahn 4 channel amp pick up the DB.

·
Old SchooL'!
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ScojoDak said:
I recently had the same problem. I just replaced ALL 4 speakers with these Alpine speakers. They were a direct bolt on. They even have the wire connectors. The problem I have now is the factory amp doesn't have enough balls to drive them hard. I like my heavy metal music loud. So now I'm installing a Audiobahn 4 channel amp pick up the DB.
I would really like to stay with infinity though I'm thinking these Infinity Reference 6012si

·
Old SchooL'!
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
290 Posts
what's the mounting depth? my brother in law just bought a chysler lebaron and his speakers were too deep to install in the doors. any help on providing the max depth before hitting something on a 98 dakota???

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hey guys. I put some MTX 6.5's in my front door panels. Sound better. But here is your answer to why the stock speakers may have sounded louder if you already don't know. Those infinity stock speakers are 2 ohm speakers and all the speakers you are looking at are 4 ohm. So that means there isn't as much power going to your new speakers.

You can buy new 2 ohm speakers but they are spendy, at least what I have seen. Best thing to do if you don't mind rewiring is to buy new speakers and then a new amp and hook them up that way.

Also, if you buy from Crutchfield, I believe they include all the mounting brackes and speaker wire direct plug ins for free. But shop around, you can find speakers cheaper other places but they usually don't include the brackets if you need them. Not always the case, but sometimes.

·
Registered
329 Posts

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
You won't have any problems on the depth - it will practically be a direct swap. duketter is right - everything is 2 ohm and is going to cost you to replace exactly.

I put all Boston components in mine, but I also have all Alpine (head unit and (3) amps) running everything, so I ran all new 12ga. wire. Your choice - but I am not a fan of Infinity...at all.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
duketter said:
Hey guys. I put some MTX 6.5's in my front door panels. Sound better. But here is your answer to why the stock speakers may have sounded louder if you already don't know. Those infinity stock speakers are 2 ohm speakers and all the speakers you are looking at are 4 ohm. So that means there isn't as much power going to your new speakers.

You can buy new 2 ohm speakers but they are spendy, at least what I have seen. Best thing to do if you don't mind rewiring is to buy new speakers and then a new amp and hook them up that way.

Also, if you buy from Crutchfield, I believe they include all the mounting brackes and speaker wire direct plug ins for free. But shop around, you can find speakers cheaper other places but they usually don't include the brackets if you need them. Not always the case, but sometimes.
crutchfield is good in that repect, but they are pricey on everything they have. i use their site as a reference only. i get the wiring harnesses from them sometime, but i get all my stuff from audio warehouse express. great people to deal with, and nice selection too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts