Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im new and need some info

ok ive got a 99 dakota slt 4x4. 5.2l auto tranny. im trying to figure out how much power the tranny and drivetrain can handle before it goes boom. ive got a pretty slick setup in my head but i dont feel like blowing up the tranny. ive figured out how i can get somewhere round 5-600 hp and just as much torque.
does anyone know the tranny code for the 4spd auto from 99? or where i can get a higher stall/ stronger torque convertor, or an aftermarket valve body?
does anyone know how much power the stock tranny can handle?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hard to answer your question without knowing the condition of the trans and drive train. In perfect condition I would not go over 350 HP with a stock set up and I would have to think that would be pushing it well past it’s design limits.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Try www.thefastman.com... Dan can have your tranny built to handle pretty much anything including a higher stall torque converter.

That'll take care of your trans........ now, let's consider your bottom end. True, the Magnum motor has a pretty strong block. However, if your plans are to add a supercharger then DO NOT go over 6-8lbs boost. If you had the 5.9 you could get away with 10lbs.

I've spent a lot of time and money discovering what makes these engines tick and how much power they can REALISTICALLY produce without causing damage and keeping it a streetable truck.

Don't know exactly what your plans are.... but if you're serious about obtaining 500-600hp at the crank consider a complete motor swap instead of trying to beef up a possibly tired 5.2. Again, Fastman can help you there.

A few other links for ya:

www.gsmotorsports.com
www.intenseperformance.com

Hope this helps! Good luck!!

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the build consists of a crate 360 or possibly a rebuilt to my standards 360. the crate ell get close to 400hp and over 400 trq. the sc should make up the majority of the gap. all the other bolt ons will take it over the 600 mark. the truck prolly wont be as quick as if it were an RT but itll be plenty quick enough. itll be fun tearing down the track as high as it is with the 4x4 stickers on the back. should be able to sneak up on a few people.

thanks for the feedback. i found the tranny section bout 5 mins after i posted this which was only bout 5 mins after i joined.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts