Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like I remember the opaque ring that goes around the ignition switch on my 2000 QC used to light up. If so, how does one go about changing the bulb?

Also, I have the radio controls on the steering wheel. My truck was originally equipped with the stock AM/FM/Cassette/CD player with the Infinity sound package. I replaced the original radio with a stock Mopar AM/FM/CD radio. I never tried the steering wheel controls with the original radio (so I’m not sure if it worked) but the replaced one does not. I read some where that with the clock spring being bad on the 2000’s, it affected the steering wheel radio controls. I had the clock spring changed out with the recall and hoped that the controls would work – it didn’t. (BTW- it was then I noticed the ignition switch ring wasn’t lighting up.) Do the steering wheel controls only work with the original radio? Thanks!

· Registered
285 Posts
BlkDakDave said:
Seems like I remember the opaque ring that goes around the ignition switch on my 2000 QC used to light up. If so, how does one go about changing the bulb?

Also, I have the radio controls on the steering wheel. My truck was originally equipped with the stock AM/FM/Cassette/CD player with the Infinity sound package. I replaced the original radio with a stock Mopar AM/FM/CD radio. I never tried the steering wheel controls with the original radio (so I’m not sure if it worked) but the replaced one does not. I read some where that with the clock spring being bad on the 2000’s, it affected the steering wheel radio controls. I had the clock spring changed out with the recall and hoped that the controls would work – it didn’t. (BTW- it was then I noticed the ignition switch ring wasn’t lighting up.) Do the steering wheel controls only work with the original radio? Thanks!
Hey how's it goin? I'm from Corpus too, small world. But on to your question, the last time I remember seeing my ignition ring glow was back when I had my stock radio. They might be intergrated some how.....perhaps the radio was it's 12v source, and wasn't hooked back up when you switched radios. Question, why did you switch radios of they were pretty much the same except the cassette?

Also, since your steering wheel controls no longer work, you might want to put them up on Ebay and make some $$$.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I switched radios 'cause I liked the clean look of the CD only one. I had it in my 97 Dak CC 4x4 but pulled it out when I sold that truck, after putting in its original AM/FM/Cassette.

I still have the original radio for my 2000 QC and have thought many times to stick the thing back in just to see if the steering wheel controls would work. And now that you’re saying the original radio and the ignition ring may be integrated for it to work, I might have to get in the garage next weekend to find out once and for all.

Thanks for the info. BTW – I’m out in the Bluff. But don’t hold that against me!

· Registered
285 Posts
BlkDakDave said:
I switched radios 'cause I liked the clean look of the CD only one. I had it in my 97 Dak CC 4x4 but pulled it out when I sold that truck, after putting in its original AM/FM/Cassette.

I still have the original radio for my 2000 QC and have thought many times to stick the thing back in just to see if the steering wheel controls would work. And now that you’re saying the original radio and the ignition ring may be integrated for it to work, I might have to get in the garage next weekend to find out once and for all.

Thanks for the info. BTW – I’m out in the Bluff. But don’t hold that against me!
Hey it's worth a shot. One of those, just got to know things...us men are stubborn like that.

A bluff rat huh, haha, nah nothing against you. How did you like our hurricane scare that turned into nothing?.....nothing but a waste of money and time!

· Premium Member
6,057 Posts
hmm so i was cuorious .. I thought mine still lit up .. but it doesn't .. hmm wonder if it does have to do with the clockspring .. my airbag light is on and the clock spring needs to be replaced :biggthump

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, it was somewhat a waste of time. Preparing for the storm at my house, a little old lady’s house and then at work. But you know, I would much rather go through the prep than to go through the actual hurricane. Being born and raised here in CC, I’ve been through every storm including Celia in 1970 which had reported wind gusts to 180 mph. I was 15 at time and when it was over, Corpus laid in ruins. Living out of the city limits near London School we were without water and electricity for over a month. Those in the city limits were without for 2 to 3 weeks. You didn’t hear people then blaming the feds. Oh man! I starting on to step up on my soapbox and this is not what this forum is about.

Back to the subject of the ignition ring. I’ve got 9 days off at the end of November so I’ll have some time to switch the radios and find out if it makes a difference. Maybe I'll see you on the road one day. Right now I've got my leer cap on with a FOX sticker, Maltese Cross sticker and an American flag sticker on the back window.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.