Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently did a front brake job on my '96 Dakota. Never had them apart before because they were fairly new when I bought the truck with 72K. Much to my delight, the previous owner had a brake "job" done by some real losers. The left front caliper had one slider bolt completely MISSING! Turned out, the wrenchers had stripped the hole on the steering knuckle and simply left the bolt out! Criminal negligence, I'd say. Unfortunately, I did not get the service records with the vehicle, or they would've heard about it.

Luckily, there is a replacement bolt available with self-tapping threads. I got one at CarQuest for a mere $20 (that was the "good" price--$33 list). It worked like a charm, although even oiling the threads it went in very tight all the way. The only other way to fix this problem that I know of would've been to replace the entire steering knuckle. I never even got a price for that, because it would've been a trip to the salvage yard almost for sure.

Lesson learned, if you get a use vehicle, inspect the brakes carefully and don't drive over 30,000 miles with such a mess. BTW, I had the brakes "inspected" more than once over the years to check for wear, and nobody ever caught the missing bolt. Oh, and the truck was certified "safety inspected" by the dealer where I bought it! :cussing:

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
I found out this weekend that the top ones on mine had worked thereselfs loose. Nobody had the replacement bolt or was to stupid to know what I needed. I ended up cutting 2 bolts and made new threads for them on the spindle. Worked real good. :biggthump

·
Registered
82 Posts
Most parts store stock those oversize bolts. Working on vehicles for a living I've seen plenty of those stripped out on the Dakotas. Fairly common problem.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Napa has them and anything they do not stock comes in quick. I also got one from Pep Boys. They are in the Help parts section. The package said Ford but I had my stock one and it matched up to the Dodge caliper bolt.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, they're kind of a universal fix-it part (if they're the right lengtH and diameter), and you need a counterman who knows something. On the phone, a couple of parts outfits, including NAPA, said "neverherdofit." Always helps to bring one to match it with.

The stock bolt is a pretty simple part, and your homebuilts might work OK, but just to be on the safe side you might want to look into the "real" ones. They ain't cheap, but basically you're buying a little machine tool, (a "tap") and they work! :biggthump

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.