Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that gonna murder my radio's reception? I like to take the truck to a brushed car wash, but I hate having to take the antenna off every visit for fear that it would get effed during the wash.

·
#19 ƃop ǝnןq ǝןʇ&#
13,196 Posts
Depends on how short you want to cut it...a few inches probably won't make a difference.

It will if you listen to AM....but FM stations will not really matter.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe it could be different at other brushed car washes, but my brother's antenna on his Dakota got bent pretty bad at the same one I go to. Hell I though it was gonna rip my windshield wiper arms off a few times before, when the heavy foam pads which drags across the truck some how got under the wipers.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Here's an idea, don't go to a brushed car wash. :huh:

If you want it really clean, do it yourself. If you just want the salt and junk washed off (especially underneath where it does damage), use a touchless wash or go through the self-wash which is much cheaper.

·
Registered
290 Posts

If you want it really clean, do it yourself. If you just want the salt and junk washed off (especially underneath where it does damage), use a touchless wash or go through the self-wash which is much cheaper.
What he said.

·
Stock Lookin'
3,040 Posts

x2. it's what i'm doing tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd love to do that and all, but the winter weather sucks. Not getting pnumonia (sp?) just for washing it lol.

·
Stock Lookin'
3,040 Posts
I'd love to do that and all, but the winter weather sucks. Not getting pnumonia (sp?) just for washing it lol.
it's better than having salt all over your truck. i just feel like it would do harm to the paint. plus the weather has been nice out since it rained. it wasn't bad lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Are you serious? How can you be cold in N.C.?
JFWY, take it to an brushless car wash to knock the dirt off until it warms up.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If theres one thing I'm sensitive to, its cold weather.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
If theres one thing I'm sensitive to, its cold weather.

then go to a touchless car wash. those brush washes are probably the WORST thing you could ever do to a vehicle. Unless of course, you like swirls in your paint, and don't mind losing trim pieces, and the occasional deep gouge in your paint.

those things pick up dirt and don't ever really rinse it away. then it spins and grinds that dirt into your paint, thus why they put so many swirl marks in the paint.

and like you said, they rip trim pieces off...

is it really that much harder to find a touchless carwash? hell around here, every gas station has a drive through car wash, and 80% of them are touchless.

·
ಠ_ಠ ლ(ಠ益ಠ&#
1,562 Posts
Depends on the area most metro areas have them but in rural places like my town its hard to find a carwash to begin with. there are only two in my area they are both brushes and they are quite a drive.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Their are a bunch of brushless car washes here, but they only get the truck half way clean. The brushed gets it TOTALLY clean (except it only hits part of the wheels) and thats my go their.

·
Don't be "That Guy"
7,400 Posts
Their are a bunch of brushless car washes here, but they only get the truck half way clean. The brushed gets it TOTALLY clean (except it only hits part of the wheels) and thats my go their.
well, you can't have your cake and eat it too. in the winter, who cares about keeping the vehicle spotless and shiney? it's just going to rain or snow again in a few days, and it's going to look like shit.

the brushless washes are good for rinsing the salt off your truck so it doesn't rust away on your 30 mile drive to work. especially the oens with the undercarriage wash that sprays up as you drive over it.

here are your options:

--cut your antenna and deal with shitty radio signal

--find a brushless car wash and deal with the fact that it might leave some dirt behind

--get over your cold sensitivity, and get out and do it yourself at the quarter car wash.

the choice is yours.

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
I've never had an issue with a brush wash. It's actually not that easy to snap an antenna. It could possibly get bent, but then you bend it back.

If you are really that concerned, keep a 3/8" wrench in your glovebox and just unscrew it before you go through the wash. It takes what, 8 seconds?

·
Registered
480 Posts
You're in friggin' North Carolina it's not that cold. Come on up to Canada and you can feel some real cold and learn what winter is all about. Go to the touchless, or get a power washer and do it at home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts