Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"The Goat"
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I just moved, and there are a couple of wreckers in my area, literally within a 5 min drive, and I plan to go over and run through their Durango and Dakota inventory soon.

Question: Is it possible to identify which trucks had limited slip differentials installed? I mean, do the R/T trucks pretty much always have em, or is there something I can look at quickly to determine it?

·
7,610 Posts
keep in mind youll want a 2wd rearend, best way i always looked for was in the glovebox to mention its a limited slip, most 9.25 12 bolt had a better chance of havin lsd then the 8.25 10 bolt, or get the backend off the ground and turn the wheel, lsd both wheels turn the same direction and open theyll spin opposite but youll have to disconnect the drive shaft which is why i rather look in the glove box

·
Crown on the Rocks
1,667 Posts
All r/t's have lsd and 3.92 unless owner jacked with it. But if you can jack up rear you can tell real fast as mentioned. Its easier to tell in neutral, but if its still in park it you shouldn't be able to turn either tire if lsd, shouldn't be hard to turn open diff.

·
"The Goat"
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My truck is a 4X4, and I've got the 12 bolt differential, I'm assuming it's the 9.25 version and there's no mention of LSD in my glove box. Would I still want to be checking 2 wheel drive vehicles only, or both those and 4X4, so long as they have the same rear end?

Checking spin at the wreckers isn't going to be easy or fun, these vehicles have their wheels off and are sitting on the ground as such, for god knows how long. Assuming that the hubs would have clearance to be spun by hand, would I simply shift the truck into N and try spinning them? Other than the glove box method and hand spinning, I'd be at a loss to check to see if they're LSD.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
If you can't spin the wheels to check, look in the glove box. It'll say 'anti-spin' somewhere if it's LSD.

R/T models ALL had the trak-lok LSD and 3.92's.

You can't directly swap a Dakota 4x4 axle into your Durango.

·
"The Goat"
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so after some more reading, it does appear as though I've got the 9.25 rear end, as my truck has part time 4X4 and the 12 bolt pattern on the diff.

So I couldn't find a Durango R/T and simply swap the axle or just the guts of the differential?

·
7,610 Posts
Ok, so after some more reading, it does appear as though I've got the 9.25 rear end, as my truck has part time 4X4 and the 12 bolt pattern on the diff.

So I couldn't find a Durango R/T and simply swap the axle or just the guts of the differential?
didnt see where you had 4wd which i change my statement that itll have to be a rearend from a 4wd also, this is because the leaf style how the rearend bolts to them, 2wd it sits on top and 4wd the leafs sit on top, any dak-rango that has 4wd will have the lsd but do still count the bolts as 4wd was also in 8.25s.

this reminds me of a statement someone made to me before which they have a 4wd durango, "i think i have lsd in my rearend as when i kick it both tires spin" my comment in return "i hope so considerin its 4wd cuz ive never heard of 3wd"

·
"The Goat"
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so if I were to find a 4X4 R/T, I could swap the axle due to the way it's mounted, but what about the different ratio? Assuming I have 3.55 now, and my front wheels turn at about the same rate as my rear wheels, will I screw this up if I swap and begin running 3.92?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Ok, so if I were to find a 4X4 R/T, I could swap the axle due to the way it's mounted, but what about the different ratio? Assuming I have 3.55 now, and my front wheels turn at about the same rate as my rear wheels, will I screw this up if I swap and begin running 3.92?
It would be a BIG PROBLEM to run different ratios front and rear.

·
7,610 Posts
itll work until you use 4wd which ur trans will prob go, which ive seen someone do this but it was a shops fault for putin the wrong gears in

·
"The Goat"
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm... What a dilemma! So is it fair to say that there are no trucks on the road from the factory with part time 4X4 and the anti slip differential? Or do these just happen to have the different gear set in the transfer case (to handle the front) also?

·
Mopar 4 life
749 Posts
didnt see where you had 4wd which i change my statement that itll have to be a rearend from a 4wd also, this is because the leaf style how the rearend bolts to them, 2wd it sits on top and 4wd the leafs sit on top, any dak-rango that has 4wd will have the lsd but do still count the bolts as 4wd was also in 8.25s.

this reminds me of a statement someone made to me before which they have a 4wd durango, "i think i have lsd in my rearend as when i kick it both tires spin" my comment in return "i hope so considerin its 4wd cuz ive never heard of 3wd"
he is all wrong all durangos the axle sits on top of the leaf!!! i have a 00 slt 5.9 with the 9.25 with the "anti-spin" and my axle is on top of the leafs! the 4x4 dakota the axle is under and the 2wd dakotas the axle is on top like the durango.
u have to have the same gears front and back! if not one set of tires will tri to spin faster than the other (when 4wd is engaged) and will just fuck your transfercase up and maybe your trans too
if u plan on swapping the gears out in the front than go ahead and swap in the rears now. but DO NOT engage the 4wd on dry pavement!! in the mud it will be a little giving cuz the front tires will be able to slip a lil but still not reccomended to engage the 4wd

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
he is all wrong all durangos the axle sits on top of the leaf!!! i have a 00 slt 5.9 with the 9.25 with the "anti-spin" and my axle is on top of the leafs! the 4x4 dakota the axle is under and the 2wd dakotas the axle is on top like the durango.
u have to have the same gears front and back! if not one set of tires will tri to spin faster than the other (when 4wd is engaged) and will just fuck your transfercase up and maybe your trans too
if u plan on swapping the gears out in the front than go ahead and swap in the rears now. but DO NOT engage the 4wd on dry pavement!! in the mud it will be a little giving cuz the front tires will be able to slip a lil but still not reccomended to engage the 4wd
This is correct. 2wd Daks and ALL Durangos are spring-under. 4x4 Daks are spring-over.

IF you do swap in a rear end with different gears and don't want to do the front right away, do yourself a favor and just remove the front driveshaft to eliminate all possibility of grenading.

12-bolt cover is 9.25"

10-bolt cover is 8.25"

R/T Durangos have the 8.25" (with LSD and 3.92's) axle since they are AWD. All of the AWD models I've seen run the 8.25".

·
Mopar 4 life
749 Posts
i knew someone would back me up on this lol
i wish the 4x4 durango was an axle under leaf!! lifting would be so much easier!!! and as for the ifs i hate the 00 and up never should of made it a steering rack!!! the steering box is better!!!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hmmm... What a dilemma! So is it fair to say that there are no trucks on the road from the factory with part time 4X4 and the anti slip differential? Or do these just happen to have the different gear set in the transfer case (to handle the front) also?
My wife's QC has the 9.25" LS and the part time NP231 t-case. So does my son's 97 full size ram 1/2 ton.
Complete diff from a fullsize won't fit but the carrier is an easy swap.

·
"The Goat"
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are your gears 3.55 or 3.92?

·
Mopar 4 life
749 Posts
i have 3.55's in the thing now but its getting swapped to 3.92 when i rebuild the rear since an axle bearing makes noise hear and there.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
4X4 R/T??? only in a Durango. only diff between a Durango R/T and a 5.9 AWD Durango is the trim package, IIRC.. as you could get the 5.9 in a Rango and it not be a R/T.

the shock and spring hangers are in diff locations on the Rango and the Dak. a competant welder can fix that minor prob,.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts