Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Idel Surging for no reason (PROBLEM FIXED PLEASE READ)

:help: :help: :help:

Ok guys I have asked a few of you about this a while back and never got a definitive answer of any kind so lets try this again :)

Whenever I am driving down the road the trucks idle is fine however if I put it on cruise it will sit at a steady speed but then all of a sudden the rpm's will rise about 300 more than it was and feel like the transmission is out of gear very slightly. I think the engine's surging prblem may just be kicking it out of gear since I see nothing wrong with the trans.

Also, when I put it in park sometimes it will idle up and down between 600 and 1200 rpm just back and forth back and forth. If I get pissed a punch the gas real quick it revs up and falls back down and idles normally. My initial thought would have been the IACV or the TPS but both seem to be fine as I have removd them and thouroughly cleaned them.

I am at a loss my truck only has 43k miles on it. I am thinking that I might need to change the plugs again but I really dont know where to start. There are no vacuum leaks I have checked. Any help would be appreciated.

Truck Model: 2000 Dodge Dakota 4.7L v8 Quad Cab

stock engine, no mods.

- James

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Well as I was reading i thought maybe it would be your IACV or TPS but you said you cleaned em.....maybe just get new ones? You might also have a bad cat or bad o2 sensors. it could also be your fuel pump, or maybe a clogged fuel filter. Maybe to got some bad gas and it clogged everything up. Or you have a freak carbon build up. not really sure, good luck though.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
replace the TPS. had the same prob a while back. ~$23 bux or so.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does it just slip on or do I have to get a voltage meter and adjust it?

I had a 90 IROC that I replaced the tps on and I had to tinker with it for endless hours to get it to read like .53 volts.....

I hate doing that and it just bugs me......thanks!!!

let me know the procedure :)

OH! and where did you get your tps? ALL of the auto parts stores down here say that dodge has a 7 year contract so that only they can make them. I was quoted 70 something dollars for a new one for my 4.7.

:biggthump

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
300 rpm sounds more like the torque convertor unlocking than shifting down a gear.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a hunch it was the TPS all along actually so i think I will try that before doing anything drastic. It has to be something electronic because the surging while driving ONLY happens when cruise is on.

so I think the tps is not telling the computer something correct and the computer is trying to compensate by giving it more fuel. I dont know it has been doing this for a while. Odd thing is if i drive for like 300 miles on the highway it wont do it for about a week which is why again I believe it is a computer or sensor problem...I want to try the tps just waiting on a reply about the procedure for changing them.

- James

·
Registered
121 Posts
okay, i replied in the last thread on this topic and i havnt checked back if i had any response to that reply but here i go. Okay i had/have/having the same problem mine is 7 years old and just under 70k. I replaced the TPS sensor all while it did improve a lot of things, it however did not fix the problem i am still having. When i come to a stop just before hit hits idle rpm it jumps up to about 1100 maybe lil less, enough that it revs and is noticeable. I have heard from a few people and i have figured it to be the tq verter. If only i had the money and time right now to have that done i would, trust me i want a asp 2400 stall verter they have. I have checked tried and even had the transmission serviced at 56k and they basically replaced and repaired problems that i didn't know i had,(well i did just wasn't too noticeable)after then the shifts have been firmer and seems to hold up bit longer when warmed up. IMHO i think it is your torque converter, sadly there isn't an easy way of eliminating that process. i doubt it is the tps sensor though cause even though it can slightly change rpms it wouldn't cause the whole truck to surge like i believe yours is. hope this helps, if not pm me ill give you a short straight vs, im being an attention whore right now! :jester: :biggthump

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, well that sucks.

ummm Mine only does it really when I put it in park just up and down up and down. I just dont think it is the torque converter I cant see why it would be and if it is then why would the torque converter die at 5 years? I am not hard on my truck at all. I dont know I cant see a reason it would be the torque converter.

I talked to my transmission guy...he is extremely extremely good and the problem I am having is with the engine not the tranny. When I put it in park it is surging up and down. I also spoke to my friend who is a dodge trained and certified mechanic in san antonio, texas.

He said, "The 2000 dakota's have a very sensitive fuel regulation system, if the TPS is even a hair off in the voltage that it is supposed to be at the computer doesn't know what to do and tries to give more fuel and once it does that then it has to compensate for it by giving it more air, thus you get a surging problem"

- James

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the TPS and all is well.

I guess my friend the mechanic was right :)

:banana2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
You just might have given me......

....the answers to my troubles too.

I have almost the exact trouble you are describing....to the letter.

I'll report back if it fixes the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes!!

CalDak said:
....the answers to my troubles too.

I have almost the exact trouble you are describing....to the letter.

I'll report back if it fixes the problem.

Looks like the issue is solved. TPS was bad. $45, 15 minutes to replace and I'm back in business.

Now to fix the cruise control......
:beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts