Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

I have a dakota R/T 2000. Last summer, i put a maganflow cat-back (from 5.9rt) si/do. I want to put headers and by the same time change the cats. But i don't know what i should buy. Say your opinion, edelbrock, pph (used of course), doug thorley, y-pipe, cats etc..... I want to keep de cat back i have right now

thanks

Marc

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
Summit has what looks like a decent set of cheap shorties.....under 2 bills......I' gettin a set for my truck soon.....they're the only ones I can afford...LOL

·
I hate you people.
2,787 Posts
You would both be wasting money on those "cheap" headers. Doesn't matter who makes them, stainless steel or metallic powdercoated are the only headers to consider, anything less is a waste of money.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
I beg to differ!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would both be wasting money on those "cheap" headers. Doesn't matter who makes them, stainless steel or metallic powdercoated are the only headers to consider, anything less is a waste of money.
so what do you suggest?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any header is better than the OEM manifolds, with that being said you do get what you pay for! You may have to cut the metal in-between each port to get them to seal the right way, even a good set of gaskets will help out alot, thats just my opinion and experience on trucks that i've owned and wasnt able to spend the big money on the better headers.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks guys, if i can find a set of pph, i need:

-gasket
-new y-pipe
-new cat

in this set-up i will only have the last cat, to not have a check engine light, do i have something to plug in the o2 sensors?

·
Outlaws Phone Warden
12,864 Posts
So primus...what is the rationalization behind what you said?? Tubes is tubes.....anything is better than the lego manifold.....

·
I hate you people.
2,787 Posts
Painted headers run the risk of rusting out in one year of service. Rebel13 might be able to get away with it since he lives in Georgia, i.e. NO ROAD SALT! One nick is all it takes for painted headers to rust out.
Shorties, mids, longs, whatever his power demands are and what he intends to use his truck for is up to him, as long as the headers are made with stainless steel or steel ceramic powdercoated. Yeah, their $50+ more than painted but for areas that see winter weather often, your just wasting money on painted headers.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
if i was looking for a set of PPH (mopar performance) headers, i would
1-call a few mopar dealerships and see if a set is sitting upstairs in the corner
2-search the dakota forums looking for a set used

·
Resleeves rnaz's borings
9,536 Posts
Dont think the PPHs are available new unless you can get Leech performance to fab you a set. (think the min order is 20 sets)
Back in the day (99/00) they were the headers. THey work well on stock/mildly modified trucks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks and i know for sure i will buy something in stainless steel or cermaic coated, i don't want to open the hood and see rust on headers. I want something that's look good uneder the hood for a long time. Yes we have alot of snow up here but the truck is sleeping during winter :p It's a week-end street/drag truck.

if you remember a guy with a grey dakota club cab has a pph set for sale on this board. He's from ontario but i can't find the thread he started for his sale.(yes i used the search fonction:p)

So if I put pph + y-pipe, I will have only one cat (3rd), exact?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts