Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
The idle air control (IAC) motor is used to electrically control the amount of air that enters the engine while at idle. When the fail they can stick open (retracted) and allow too much air to pass causing a fast idle, or they can stick closed (extended) and not allow enough air to the engine and choke the engine. Normally, a good throttle body cleaning will involve removing the TB and cleaning all passages as well as cleaning the build-up from the IAC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Durango has been running rough lately, surging at stops and it seems like it is missing when I go to accelerate so I took off my air intake and had a listen the AIC was running quiet, then for no reason it started to really suck air and thats when it started to run rough again. Is this related and what should I do about it. Can you clean it. I just cleaned my throttle body with carb cleaner and it seemed to help it.Fixed, who knows??

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
did u take the throttle body off to clean it? Or did u spray it in there with the motor running? I know thats what it says to do, but i really dont like the idea of that stuff going into my engine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the IAC off and cleaned it and also cleaned the TB with the engine running. My mechanic said that would be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.