Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

· Mean Green
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would i need to do to get my truck to sound like a v8.

my friends are telling me to just cut the muffler off, but i know it will just sound like a ricer that is on its last leg....

so what do i need to get for pipes to make it sound badass?

and as cheep as posible would be stupendous!

thanks guys

· Banned
3,222 Posts
if you want the V-8 sound you need a V-8. never heard a V-6 even come close to that v-8 rumble sound. but try some flowmasters delta 50,s I think they are called. that should beef up the sound some. your right about cutting off the mufflers. will make it sound ricer. my friend did that to his SHO v-6 and sounded awlful.

· Registered
347 Posts
Good luck to you. I have heard quite a few vehicles that even with a Flowmaster sounded like a V-6. As soon as they really stepped on it you could tell the difference. I remember thinking to myself why in the HE## did they do that :huh:

· Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Also for some more sound I would say replace you cat.. will sound better but not like a V8 mine sounds like it almost but when I get on it you can tell its not a V8 :cussing: I have a flowmaster muffler and that helped a bit but the big difference was when I put a high flow magnaflow cat on the truck made a world of difference .. but still going to sound like a V6

· July Truck of the Month
572 Posts
My old 3.9 sounded pretty good but couldn't hold a candle in comparison to the sound of a V8. Flowmaster 40 and a high flow cat ought to give it a much better sound though, Scott's truck sounds pretty good :biggthump

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
when u say, make my V6 sound like a V8, do u mean the engine or, make my V6 exhaust sound like a V8s? Cuz i would just take everything from the downpipe back off, thatll make it nice and loud :biggthump

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
well the y pipe is only like 60 bucks i think, i dont know how much the three inch tubing is gonna cost, but if its like an average cat-back system, id say about $160-$190. And yes, i know u said Dakota not Downboi :jester:

G

·
my truck is just a v6 and all i did was cut the muffler off and put a 12" glass pack and a turn down pipe. still have my cat but its loud. i've had a bunch of people ask whats in it. then i just point to my badges. they laugh but i just like to be loud. when i go full throttle everyone turns. total cost of my exhaust was $35 dollars at a muffler shop(parts and labor). toke them 10 mins to weld it on. i'm very happy with it and it doesn't break the law and your wallet.

G

·
i thought of getting a bigger pack but when my exhaust guy told me it would be louder than my camaro then i was happy. but i bet yours is loud as hell downboi

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
i dont know...i could only hear it when i used to haul ass through towns in germany and it would echo of the walls and buildings, the locals really appreciated it at 230 in the morning :jester: But my friend stepped on the gas for me one time when it was standing still and i was standing right by the pipe, my ears actually like, hurt from it. But it sounds different when ur driving then what it does when u just rev it.

· Registered
100 Posts
I dunno about never sounding like a v8. There is a guy on dakusa with a IB v6, I forget his user name, but his truck sounds mean as hell for only being a v6. It's not loud and noisy like glass packs, but it is real real mean sounding. let me look his user name up. I'm sure yall know you I am talking about once I find his user name and post it.

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
YellowDak99 said:
I dunno about never sounding like a v8. There is a guy on dakusa with a IB v6, I forget his user name, but his truck sounds mean as hell for only being a v6. It's not loud and noisy like glass packs, but it is real real mean sounding. let me look his user name up. I'm sure yall know you I am talking about once I find his user name and post it.
what the shit is an "IB" V6, and ur probably talkin about Boost'D V6. And glasspacks dont just "sound loud", i dont know what kinda glasspacks uve heard, but mine just has a nice deep mmmmmmmmmmmmmm to it. Like i said somewhere else earlier, when i get my truck back together, ill make a clip of it and post it if someone will tell me how.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.