Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing the tires on my 02 R/T, and really have a problem.
Obviously we all know it is impossible to find the stock 255/55/17 anymore.
Five years ago, I bought Falkins 275/50/17, and though they were very quiet on the road, they didn't last but 20,000 miles.
As for the size, the Falkins looked great on the truck.
Last week I had Yokohama 255/65/17 put on the truck,because the Falkins no longer make the size I had. and the ride is terrible.
I feel every rut and crack in the road driving with these tires.
I called the tire dealer,and there is no problem with exchanging them.
The problem I am having is I don't want a tire this huge on my truck.
They are a bit tall.
I really don't know a whole lot about tire sizes other than what I read, and looking at some conversion charts.
Plus, I know absolutely nothing about what 30x 10, or what ever other number is involved in size.
I don't know what those sizes would be.
I am leaning toward a 50 series, but the dealer tells me they are a bit small,and will not give me the smooth ride the Falkins did.
At this point, I am about to pull out what little hair I have left, because I just don't know what tires to get.
If you could suggest (hopefully with pictures) what tire looks and responds best on the R/T, I would really appreciate it.
I need to make a decision by this Monday, as that is the day the tire company needs for me to come to some sort of decision.
Your input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
255/50/17 Lots of choices available. But if you are stock height they will look small. 275/55 will work great on the rear but may rub slightly on the front.
255/60/17 should work fine. They are taller than stock, but shorter than the 255/65 you have now
Nitto makes a tire in the 275/50 size, but they get mixed reviews.

Really it's not so much the tire size, but you need to look at how stiff the sidewalls are. Chances are the Yokahama's you have are a truck tire with a higher load rating meaning a stiffer side wall. For your R/T you need to stick to the Sport Truck/SUV tires or other high performance tires.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
And if you go to www.onlinetires.com there are several choices in the stock 255/55/17 size. Lots of people running the Federal 595s. In fact i will probably use them when I get back from deployment. And Onlinetires has a warehouse in Cerrito's that you can pick the tires up from to save the shipping cost.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really appreciate your input.
I have two choices here.
One- Nitto NT 450 in 275/50/17.
This is the same size as the falkins were.
Two- Kumho 255/50/17
These are the closer to the stock size.
I think I will choose the Nitto .
Thanks again, and you mentioned you are in a deployment.
Stay safe and a big thanks for your service to our country.
Bob.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Unless your truck is lowered, I'd personally stay away from the 255/50's as they will look small on the truck. The 275/50s are actually closer to the stock size than the 255/50s.

Also since you are in LA, you should bring your truck out to the Mopar Spring Fling show in Van Nuys in May. more info @ www.cpwclub.com I am already registered and will be there. It's a two day show. Saturday is more of a meet and greet with the cruise to Bobs Big Boy in the afternoon. Sunday is the judged portion. Jay Leno always makes an appearance on Sunday in one of his many cars from his personal collection.

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,225 Posts
I decided to get the Nittos, and they look good on the truck.
Lets hope they have good tread wear.
Bob.
Any pictures of the new tires?
I too will be shopping for tires before the truck hits the streets this spring.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Good luck with the Nitto's, they get mixed reviews about wet traction and they do have softer sidewalls, so while the ride will be a bit smoother, your handling will suffer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck with the Nitto's, they get mixed reviews about wet traction and they do have softer sidewalls, so while the ride will be a bit smoother, your handling will suffer.

Today it was raining in Los Angeles, and the tires handled very good on the wet streets.
They really grabbed the road, and braking was very good as well.
It is way to early to tell everything about these tires, but the one thing I really like about them is they really look great on the R/T.
I will take pictures tomorrow when the sun is out.
The rain only lasted for a day, and we are headed for summer weather this coming week.
By Tuesday it is expected to be in the late eighties or maybe even 90"s..
I can hardly wait.
Bob.

·
4,225 Posts
Nice!
I have wanted to go with staggered sizes but the selection in a semi-performance tire with reasonable wear characteristics is virtually non-existent.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
I'm thinking of going to the Federals my next set and putting the 255/55/17s on the rear and 255/50s on the front. Not as staggered as most would usually run in a staggered set up, but unless I want to spend a lot more money on one of the few other models that can be found in a staggered pairing to fit out trucks it's the only way IMO. The Nitto's are in both 275/50 and 255/50 which would work, but I'm not a fan of the Nitto style and have seen too many mixed reviews over the years for them.

·
4,225 Posts
I've looked at the Federals but the UTQG ratings are terrible for the SS-595 at 260, I haven't looked for reviews but the rating alone concerns me. :huh:
And they are made in Taiwan ROC

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Why does a 260 rating concern you? Good traction. And for the price who cares if they werar out in 15000 miles. It's still cheaper than buying a more expensive tire that wears out in 20K miles. And you also need to remember that the tread wear rating doesn't necessarily cross over from brand to brand. So a tire from Michelen with a 320 rating may actually be the same as a tire from BFG with a 360 rating, or a tire from Goodyear with a 280 rating. The ratings are only good when comparing tires of the same brand.

·
4,225 Posts
I believe I have found my replacement, the General Grabber UHP. Going up against 6 other tires in it's class, it is the highest rated. Excellent reviews for treadwear, wet & dry traction, quiet and the vast majority would buy again. Looking at reviews on the Federals left me with too many concerns, some of which are that the tires have poor wet handling, carcass issues as they age, run much larger than comparable sized tires, and loud. Cost is a factor for me but enough to settle for an inferior tire to save a few $$

1 - 15 of 15 Posts