Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm just hoping to get some opinions to help me make a decision. i have a 2000 dakota v6, i want to swap it out for a v8, so heres my question. i found a guy with a 2000 durango 4.7, he rolled it. it only has 132,000 km on it after he uprighted and got it running he drove untill the safety inspection ran out. the problem i'm having with my decision is i can't hear it running when i go see it because he says his buddy hooked up some booster cables wrong and screwed the computer. i can get the durango for $700.
i guess my question is should i stay away from it or should i buy it? i guess worse case cenerio i could sell it again. i have to drive approx 2 hrs to look at it and tow it home if i buy it.
the reason i am looking to swap is my 3.9 v6 has almost 400,000 km on it still run good but nocks pretty good when she's cold so if i'm going to freshen it up with another engine i may as well take a step up.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Your better off selling your Dak and buying one with a V8 already. The amount of time and effort to swap is not worth the difference in what you sell you dak for and what you pay for another. Im not sure what the Dakota market is like in your area, but what if you could get a V8 dak for $1000 more then you sell yours. We are talking $300 more then having to swap. This does not include anything you will need to buy to make the swap work, the cost of towing the durango the 2 hours home, etc. I have never done a swap before but I would look in to selling you dak and buying another. My $.02

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
It's really not that expensive to swap to a V8.

If you did do it, I wouldn't bother with a 4.7, either a 5.2 or 5.9..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts