Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pride on wheels
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered some new Sabersports on ebay and it looks to me like they have changed the design for them (From a wiring aspect anyway).

What Im having trouble figuring out is how to wire the leds to act as running lights. HskrRT said that he switched the other two wires on the led plug to get this function;however, the plug for the leds only seems to have 2 wires. I have included pictures to further explain what i am talking about.

This Picture shows a 3157 sized plug and two wires going to a rather large box. I assume the box is some kind of resistor. I hooked up everything to make sure it all worked and the leds flashed at a normal pace with no added resistors or flasher packs. (I have a 2004 Dakota, if it matters)

This image shows the wires that are going to the 3157 plug and wires that appear to wrap around to the wires going to the ?resistor? This image also shows some kind of circuit board inside the housing. im not sure if this circuit board was on previous models of this Headlight.

This image shows the wires for my CCFL(halos) which are not color coded so i am just going to have to test them to figure out which is positive and negative.

Any Input you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. I also have a HID kit on the way and will be installing that for my low beams. I will also post pictures of my progress and light outputs.

·
Pride on wheels
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
You have to swap the wires on the vehicle side of the plug for the LEDs, not on the headlights. As for the halos, it doesn't matter which way you wire them up, as long as one wire goes to positive and the other to ground.

That box is a load resistor that they incorporated mid cycle to prevent the hyperflash. For the '01+ trucks you need to leave that on there. On the older trucks you can just use the EP-27 flasher relay and can cut off the load resistor. It gets hot during use and if you wire the lights up to use the LEDs as running lights it will have power all the time.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Oh and the circuit board has always been there. You need that for the LEDs. the newer style with the load resitor has a slightly different circuit board though which should be better. When I had to re-do mine the donor headlights I bought were the newer style so i swapped the LED circuit boards around since most of the LEDs on my original set were bad.

·
Pride on wheels
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for answering all of my questions. The Led thing was really racking my brain. Now I'm just waiting on my HID kit to get here :mullet:

Also, I really like your truck. It really has come a long way since you have owned it.

·
Pride on wheels
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is an Update.

I got the new headlights in with my HIDs along with some new fog lights.

Probably the easiest to install aftermarket thing I own. These lights even have the slot on top that slides into the bumper.

Sorta has a projection housing on the inside

I broke the bulbs off so i could just use the pins to secure the wires for the new lights. My factory plug is still stock.

The mounting holes were alittle too big to reuse the factory screws so i improvised with nuts and bolts.

I will get some shots of the light output tonight and post them up tomorrow

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
hell yes sir. lets see some later!

·
Pride on wheels
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Amber lights will be changed out for some switchback Leds whenever they come in.

I really like these fog lights

HIDs on

A side view

My field of vision

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
get a pic of just the fogs!!! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Hollandcodyman!
I just bought the same model of yours headlights but they the doesn't fit on my '98 Dodge Durango.
Did you have problem during the installation of yours?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem is in the headlights bracket.
Brackets are too thick and the headlights come out from the shape of the housing.
Without the bracket the headlights fits properly... but there isn't nothing that fixed them to the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts