Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am in need of some more bass in my 2000 Dakota Quad Cab. Right now I have the MTX Thunderform behind the back seat with a 10" mtx 6000a sub. A JBL 180.2 amp is pushing it. I am in need of a little more bass. I am wondering if you think a new sub will do the trick(hard to come by since mounting depth is a concern) or maybe to just add another sub behind the rear passenger seat?

Anybody have 2 subs in their quad cab (maybe behind the rear seats)? I want to stay as stealth and cheap as possible. I need the room so it has to go behind the rear seats.

I have also thought of taking out my thunderform and getting some 8" kicker solo-barics but not sure if that would add much? :help:

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
I ran 4 8" RockfordFostgates in my 93 Reg Cab Dakota. It wouldn't go very low (like below 50 Hz seemed kinda... not all there) But holly HELL was it loud and crystal f*ckin clear! With 4 8Ohm subs, you can get it down to a 1 ohm Stereo load really easy, and boy did it sound NICE! I was so impressed with the setup, I am really thinking of doing it again, isntead of my 2 Comp VR 10s that I have sitting at home. Takes alot less amplifier that way (And I like cheap!)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm, I could possibly even get 3 8's behind my quad cab seats but that would make it tricky wiring it to my amp. I don't really want to spend any more money on an amp. My one 10" is alright, but it just doesn't have the punch to it like I would like. I have had 3 10's in a different vehicle, 2 12's in another so maybe I just got spoiled?

I am seriously considering maybe switching to 8's. Anybody have 8's in their quad cabs or anything else besides the one thunderform? Or maybe you have the thunderform with a different sub?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
either you or one of your buddies can build a custom center console to house another 10. that would solve your problem, and prob be alot cheaper in the long run also.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
no matter how you slice it, 10's and 12's seem to play the best in these applications. if you want some kidney shattering bass (but now real high quality sound) go with a 15". not saying you cant get a 15 to sound good though, just going by what ive read and heard too. i have a single 10" mtx in mine and a 300 watt pioneer amp driving it. rattles all the mirrors in the truck...feels good on my back too..lol

2 10's would definatly do it. wires them up so they are at 2ohms. take in mind what the subs are rated at too. to little power and too much power and youll get distorsion and clipping. see what its rms rating is (im assuming you know all this though considering you put other systems in before), if its rated at 150rms, then i think an amp at that or just a tick over would do the trick. try not to look at the max power rating, as this will tend to lead you into trouble. if you do, then the system would sound good at lower levers, and clip and distort really early in the volume. you want to tune the system to the loudest you think you willl listen to it. alot to tak in aint it...lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not looking to rattle my teeth off, but at least give that nice thump in your chest and sometimes raise the hair on your neck. I am trying to stay as stealth as possible so 12's and 15's will not work in my truck at all. 10's are the biggest and the problem with those is the mounting depth. There isn't a ton of room behind those quad cab seats.

My single 10 in my quad cab just isn't that loud and/or great.

·
July Truck of the Month
8,227 Posts
hey duketter post some pics of your setup behind the rear seat. I wanna know how that looks and how it's working out for ya. Where'd you mount the amp? I was thinking of doing double center consoles in mine with a 10 in each but I'd like to see your setup.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I honestly can't take a picture of it cause it is behind the rear drivers seat. The thunderform box doesn't allow you too fold up that seat when it is behind it so I would have to take out the seat to take a pic. It is completely stealth(can't see it at all) this way and someone would have to tear your seat out to steal it. It fits back there perfect and is simple to install, but I just wish it had more bass.

As for the amp, I installed that under the passender FRONT seat. I almost put it under the passenger REAR seat but I decided to do the front on instead. It fits right under the seat and the passenger is still allowed to slide it back and forth for adjustments without interference. My wires are along the door trim and such so you really can't see any wires except back by the amp and those are hidden unless you move that passenger seat all the way forward as far as it goes.

I thought about doing center console subs but I have no skillz for that. I can hardly build a regular square box for a sub let alone a console box that would have to look nice! :banana2: Plus I would have to have a center console with an arm rest cause I use that thing all the time.

·
Registered
223 Posts
duketter said:
Ok, I am in need of some more bass in my 2000 Dakota Quad Cab. Right now I have the MTX Thunderform behind the back seat with a 10" mtx 6000a sub. A JBL 180.2 amp is pushing it. I am in need of a little more bass. I am wondering if you think a new sub will do the trick(hard to come by since mounting depth is a concern) or maybe to just add another sub behind the rear passenger seat?

Anybody have 2 subs in their quad cab (maybe behind the rear seats)? I want to stay as stealth and cheap as possible. I need the room so it has to go behind the rear seats.

I have also thought of taking out my thunderform and getting some 8" kicker solo-barics but not sure if that would add much? :help:

Dump that MTX sub and get a JL Audio 10w3v2. It will fit. Just get a torch and heat up the back of the box while you slowly screw in the sub in the front. I did it and have zero rattles outta of the box.
IT ROCKS!! It works well as a lower back massager because the sub throws the seat a good 3-4in when its cranked. My only complaint is that it hitting the back of the seats causes some distortion.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Holy sh*t! Thanks guys. For those that have made the switch from the mtx 6000 in the thunderform to something else....did it make that much of a difference? I hear good things about JL but wasn't sure if just switching the subs would make that much of a difference....might have to try that! :mullet:

Has anyone heard and auidique sub before? Never heard of those.

Also by looking at the JL Audio's mounting depth of 5.75", it is hard to belive you got that thing in the thunderform. But the picture doesn't lie.

·
Registered
223 Posts
duketter said:
Holy sh*t! Thanks guys. For those that have made the switch from the mtx 6000 in the thunderform to something else....did it make that much of a difference? I hear good things about JL but wasn't sure if just switching the subs would make that much of a difference....might have to try that! :mullet:

Has anyone heard and auidique sub before? Never heard of those.

Also by looking at the JL Audio's mounting depth of 5.75", it is hard to belive you got that thing in the thunderform. But the picture doesn't lie.

The way the angle is on the back of the box and the nub on the back of the JL it actually only misses it by like an 1/8in. It dont take much heat to get it in there.....and yes it made that much difference. It went from sound like a 10 to a 12...no kidding! That thing slams but it rung in at like $200 for the sub. So it might be cheaper to go the AudioQue route...your call.

·
Trailer Trash
679 Posts
I know you're trying to stay stealth as possible, but with you being spoiled, (the bass in your other rides), im not too sure you will be happy with the thunderform.

I had the thunderform with a fosgate sub pushed by a fosgate amp, and the sub would hit the back of the seat when the bass hit hard. I ended up fabbing a ring around it, and putting a grill on top of that to push the seat forward. finally blew the sub because that was still not enough room for it, (got drunk one night and cranked it).

Finally said %^&* it and threw 2 Pioneer 15"s in the back seat pushed by fosgate 1200 series, my quad aint a taxi.... but when it is, i mute the sub out on my deck, unplug the wires on the side and toss the subs where ever i gain passengers..... usually at their house.

Works out pretty well and i meet other quads that hear the thump and wonder how i got that thump in there.... pop the back door and show em whats sittin in the back seat.... hahaha its not the prettiest either but i love it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have already thought of just setting subs on the back seats, but it would end up being more of a pain in the @ss for me. It seems there is always someone, something(my dog), etc. riding back there.

I may try those audioque subs. For the price and if they are as good as they make them sound, they would be worth it. I am still debating though what I should do and keeping my options open.

·
Monkey see, Monkey do
1,045 Posts
those are not mine.i will probably swap my crossfires out for 2 audioque 10s sometime around december....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I talked to the guy at audioque about my set up and he said that my thunderform will not do justice with the 10" sub. He did mention to check out their sister company ddaudio.com but the mounting depth on those subs may not work.

So I may take out my thunderform and go around to my local stereo shops and see what I can fit in there and go from there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts