Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I just bought a Durango, it's a 2001 slt 5.9, so.. I just bought it like 2 weeks ago. Didn't really look at it when I bought it. Which is NEVER a good idea. But anyway when I saw it for the first time it ran good and everything. Never drove it because it needed brake lines from the get go. So I had it towed home. And I've been working on it since I bought it. I did a ton of body work. And did all the brake lines, and added some custom touches. Well I decided to drive it today. And the Damn thing starts blowing white smoke like crazy. I was pissed. Because I know that means a head gasket. So yeah. There I am. Now I don't know if I should sell it and buy a Chevy, or keep fixing it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so I have another story. So I am called two durangos because I bought two at the same time. So, first I bought the 5.9 R/T, I went and looked at it, it ran good. Then I paid for it and me and my buddys are on our way home. I have to drive it about 100 kilometers to get it home. So we went and filled up. And we started on our way home. Then out of no where the whole thing started vibrating like crazy and then shut off. And also smoking. I just blew the motor. I was pissed. So I had it towed home the next day. Then I found the other Durango on kijiji. I planned on making one out of the two. So I went and bought the slt. Never drove it. And then I found out it needs a head gasket. So I tried to pull the engine on the R/T. And gave up because bolts kept breaking and I was 100% on my own. So I said I'm gonna fix the running one instead. So I needed some money and I went and sold the R/T. So now I have an slt that needs a head gasket. Not really wanting to try and pull the engine again. With my luck, I'll get new head gaskets and then the trans will go. Don't know what I should do. I wanted to love this truck but it's hard if it's going to start like this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would. But I can't afford another vehicle. Well fixing another one. I'm going to do whatever it takes to get this thing certified. I was told today that it might just be bad gas from sitting all winter. But the battery died and a brake line started leaking, so I have to go out and buy more brake fluid and bleed the brakes once again. Then I have to find somebody to boost me. Then I can let it run and figure out what's really going on. I won't sell it because I know for a fact I'm not going to get my money back. Might have to do a complete restoration. Don't really want to on a Durango, but if it means being on the road then so be it. Anybody think durangos will be a classic one day?? Anything I should add to it while the engine is ripped apart? Rebuild engine? Or buy new used engine? Lemme know guys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Annd if I were to go out and buy a new truck it would most definitely not be another Durango. I had two at once and I still couldn't fix one. I can do all sorts of mechanical and cosmetic work, but these Damn engines! I thought I'd love a 5.9, but so far I hate them. Well see how it goes from here. Hopefully it's all up hill from here or I'm going to have to sell it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay I just found out it was bad gas from the truck sitting over winter. Just added some more gas and it ran fine with no smoke at all. Drove it today. Feels good. Going to keep going.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Even in the event that it was a Head gasket they are not that bad on the 5.2/5.9 trucks. A little time consuming but not horrible as far as difficulty. Also parts are cheap for them and most machine shops will charge $120-180 to surface and pressure check the heads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
good to hear it was only bad gas...im in the middle of doing head gaskits on my 2002 4.7 but with over 200k on it i cant complain..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts