Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i was wondering if anyone has taken a stock dakota with a V6 and 4X4 and turned it into a quick street truck, but still capable of going light offroading. I would like to do this to my dakota but iam not sure if it is possible or even a good idea. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

·
G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
you would have to get an awd unit from a caravan or something wouldnt you?

i think if you use the 4x4 transfer case, youll tear it up...

awd vs trasfer case----is there a difference? i think so. anyone who knoes for sure please explain, cuz id like to really know too.

·
I like trucks
510 Posts
Yea im not totally sure but I think awd and 4x4 transfer cases are completely different. Doing high speeds with a 4x4 while engaged is not good. But taking a 4x4 and making it really fast is ok, and completely possible, just leave her in 2wd. :biggthump

·
Registered
266 Posts
yup 98 up daks and durango's had an optional awd (ask the 4x4 guys-they hate em) I'm not sure of how many speeds they are but they are a full time unit. They use a viscous clutch and have a pretty even torque division. If you buy a 4x4 cheapy- it'll have a shift lever on the floor one of the AWD guys would gladly give you their case for yours. The AWD isn't the best for off road use. Both cases are simular and will bolt in place of the other. Drive shafts may be different if someone does their homework this could be a good idea-maybe hooked to a turbo 5.9?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, iam thinking of putting a 390 stroker and going from there, now i just have to find one thats not to expensive

·
Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
AWD would be killer if they would make a complete system like the Grand Cherokee's have... with the Visvous Couplings in all the Diffs... That's a killer setup. an 02 GC with a whipple 4.7 would be BADASS! AWD and the power to need it... Mmmm (drooling profusly)

Never heard of a 4x Dakota done up like that. Seen it on Chevys, but only cause they can upgrade to 3/4 ton stuff. There is no "strong" front IFS dodge diff, cause Uhhh Dodge was smarter than that! I think properly setup, a RWD will do all you'd ever need it to without a worry. That and Torsion Bars are GHEY! Atleast for any on-road performance standpoint...

·
Registered
266 Posts
In stock form the Ifs is completely worthless, and they don't make a lift big enough to make our trucks or gen 3's a serious off road contender. So at best there's a shot at making a street truck awd with @350 hp. If the ifs can't handle that (on road) then it's got no bussiness on the truck

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i need my 4wd because i have to tow a trailer full of goose decoys though a wet and muddy field during the winter. I do not need a really fast truck yet, cause i would kill myself in it, right lead foot problem, but i want something fast enough to beat all of the mid size trucks and some of the sports cars that are around here. would putting a bigger engine with a cam help it, and what size would u reccommend. I would also not be doing this myself, i would have to get me mechanic to do most of the work because i do not have the right equipment.

·
Registered
33 Posts
realdeal7369 said:
you would have to get an awd unit from a caravan or something wouldnt you?

realdeal7369,
NICE DAKOTA . WHAT year is it ? SWEET!!!!

I have a '96 DAKOTA like it except green in color.
'96 DODGE DAKOTA V6 MAGNUM
gound effects limo tint,vent visors,NEW seat covers DODGE floor mats and still adding on to it :drive:

Later DUDE
joe cool

·
Registered
33 Posts
What Year Dakota?

realdeal7369,

What year is your dakota? LOOKS FINE! :bow: I drive a '96 just like it only the crappy green paint is wearing off. Did you have buy the bottom spoiler? thinking about one for mine.

Later!

96 DODGE DAKOTA
ground effects limo tint slider with ventvisors Dodge floor mats Heart Breaker Seat covers and still adding on

·
G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
shes a 95 man.. sorry havent been in this thread lately :sorry:

shes got 158400 miles on it too. thanks for the props! yup, bottom air damn was bought and painted the pqe teal, right along with the hood too.

G

·
Yup, realdeal has a nice truck. That's good for me too, since I have the same year :biggthump . Mine's an extended cab though, so no ground effects. However, I'm going with the front spoiler, tonnue cover, roll pan, side pipes, euro tails...damn, I'm gonna be in the hole. :)

·
GenII Owner
245 Posts
When talking to a guy with an AWD truck, in AWD it's a 20/80 split front rear, but there's a 4x4 mode that I think would even it out. I've driven an AWD Durango R/T and it drove normal to me, no real AWD affect that I could feel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.