Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok no matter what i do. The temp. gauge just goes up,maxes out,then goes back down to less then half way,then slowly moves back up. I know i am not overheating because i can get out of the car while i am "hot" and hold my hand on the radiator cap. Its semi cool. This is now affecting my ability to cool/heat the car.

I remember reading somewhere on how putting a cooler thermostat will increase the performance of your car. But i can no longer find that link on the dakota-durango site. How much is this part?Where do i find the thermostat? And how hard is it to install?

Also,since im going to be tinkering under the hood,can someone point me to the location of the link for the modding of the TPS sensor i believe. Any input would be great

98 durango slt
5.2 L 4x4

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I believe I saw the TPS mod here TPS I picked my thermostat up from NAPA. pretty easy to change. just remember not to crank down the house'n bolts. (it'll crack the house'n) I think I paid $8 for it. Don't forget the gasket & RTV. Pickup some more anti-freeze to top off the system.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
follow the fat hose come'n off the top of your radiator towards your engine. It goes into your thermostat house'n. remove two bolts on either side. inside the house'n you should see the thermostat.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and when i do all this,is it going to drain my radiator?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some say to drain a bit of the fluid before you do it. I didnt drain any and it didnt leak too much. Obviously you will do this when the engine is cold so there will not be much that will come out. I found the hardest part was cleaning off the old gasket, but once that is done it is pretty easy from then on out.
I think I paid a few dollars for the Robert Shaw 180 TStat at Autozone.
I also replaced my TPS from autozone and I think that cost about 20 bucks if I remember correctly.

Brian

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some info on TPS Modification:
(Applies to '92 -Current models)

Have you ever noticed that slight stumble right off idle when you mash the pedal to the floor? Here's an easy fix for the sluggish response of the throttle (which is related to the TPS Sensor).

Here's a chart that shows the change in the Absolute TPS% that the PCM sees

TPS Voltage Absolute TPS%

.44v
7.9%

.53v
10.1%

.685v
12.5%

.75v
13.7%

.82v
15.3%

Check your TPS voltage before doing this modification as none of the factory sensors are calibrated the same. We've seen ranges from .3v-.7v...from the factory. Connect a Digital Volt Meter to the middle terminal on the TPS sensor (with the harness connected and the Key-ON/Engine-OFF). If it's close to .7v...leave it alone.

(1) Remove your TPS Sensor from the vehicle (Located on the drivers side of the throttle body - 3-Wire Connector)
(2) Put the TPS into a vice and drill the two brass inserts out of the casing with a 1/4" or 7/32" drill bit (drill from the back of the sensor...not the front). You'll need to push on the drill as it will only spin the inserts...once they're heated up enough, they'll pop right out.
(3) Clean up the holes with either the drill or (preferred) a small round file.
(4) Reinstall the TPS Sensor on the throttle body. You'll need two small washers on the screws as the holes are now bigger than the screw head. Leave it slightly loose as you're going to have to set the initial Key ON/Engine OFF Voltage before starting the engine.
(5) Reconnect the TPS sensor harness and connect a Digital Volt Meter to the middle terminal on the TPS Sensor (you can poke through the weather-proof connector).
(6) Turn the ignition key ON but do NOT start the engine.
(7) Set the initial voltage (by turning it with your fingers) on the TPS at about .7 volts. (Optimum range is from .7 - .75 volts)
(8) Tighten down the TPS screws and check the voltage one more time (yes...it can move slightly when tightening it down)
(9) Start the engine but do NOT step on the accelerator pedal...let the computer learn the new initial voltage setting.
(10) Turn the engine off and close the hood...drive away of you want...your throttle response should be much more precise now.
Some have claimed that the TPS Sensor is adjustable on the actual throttle body without any modifications...this is completely false. There is no room for adjustment unless you drill the inserts out.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok,the guy was saying something about a thermostat switch. Should i replace the thermostat. or the switch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts