Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· a drunken dakotaholic
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am In need of some serious help,

My 99 s/c 318 might of seen better days. It started having serious problems when going down the interstate. I was crusin at about 3500 - 4000 rpms

Pulled off and it was running really rough and smoking oil out the back so much I could barely see my buddies headlights.

Looked at the engine bay this morning and noticed my boost/vac gauge that normally reads 20vac was only reading 10.

The pcv valve was blown off and so was my crankcase breather. When that happened oil saturated my engine bay.

Don't hear anything knocking, but it is running really rough and smoking still. Checked the oil and it is in the safe.

Possible gasket? If so where to start to look?

Thanks

· "Fuchengruhvin"
1,096 Posts
y2krtaf said:
Definately sounds like a head gasket.Time for some fresh ones and a check on your tune.Good luck,and get er fixed back up.
Acutally, sounds like you burnt a ring. If the smoke is black/grey, you are burning oil - if it's white and smells like antifreeze, that would be a head gasket.

With that being said, if you blew/burnt up a ring, that means you have a compression leak that blew your PCV out of the valve cover - or, you've seriously F'd up a valve or two. Not good, either way.

Also - what is up with cruising around @ 3500-4000? That's up there with a redline of 5000-5500...

Good luck

· Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
716 Posts
Your S/C 318 traveling down the interstate at 3500 and 4000 rpm? wouldent that mean you were keeping it in boost for however long you traveling on the interstate for?............ That cant be good for a motor, obviousley..........

Good luck with whatever it is......

· Registered
49 Posts
lilguido1 said:
Acutally, sounds like you burnt a ring. If the smoke is black/grey, you are burning oil - if it's white and smells like antifreeze, that would be a head gasket.

With that being said, if you blew/burnt up a ring, that means you have a compression leak that blew your PCV out of the valve cover - or, you've seriously F'd up a valve or two. Not good, either way.

Good luck
I agree with him on this one do you run Nitrous at all if you do how often to you use it.. If you have and use it alot then it would also be a hole in your piston.. but if no nitrous then I would say that its a ring problem. the pcv valve blew off because of the combustion pressure getting into the crankcase causing a serious pressure buildup inside the bottom end..

· a drunken dakotaholic
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think its got to be a ring problem as i knew they were worn. Got a 408 coming shortly. Going to be selling my supercharger too.

· I like trucks
510 Posts
sicminds said:
i think its got to be a ring problem as i knew they were worn. Got a 408 coming shortly. Going to be selling my supercharger too.
Sweet, get some pics of the 408 when you get it in. How much you letting the blower go for?

· a drunken dakotaholic
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Once I get the 408 in I will def post some pics along with time slips. Probably will run for truck of the month and submit my truck to some mags.

Not sure on what I am letting the supercharger go for, but I will most likely be putting it up on ebay or selling it to the highest bidder here. The blower will be coming with goodies such as a k&n intake filter, 2ft of flex tubing, brand new 9# pulley, msd btm, boost and air/fuel gauges. Not to mention the Powerdyne performance pack by gsmotorsports which includes the stainless intake tube, bosch blow off and belt tensions bracket. I will be selling it soon as my current block condition is not favorable for driving. Any one interested should pm me an offer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.