Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a problem and was wanting comments/suggestions/guidence as to what I should to do.

I bought a 99 4WD Durango 13 months ago from the Dodge dealership in a different dealership from where I live. I live in Brandon, Manitoba, Canada. It had a pile of work done to it at this dealership to pass Manitoba Vehicle Safety Inspection. The work is as follows:

* 4 tires
* air filter
* lower ball joints
* front pads + rotors
* inner + outer sway bar joints
* wheel alignment
* left outer c/v

I had some clunking in the front end, so I had just figured it was bad ball joints. I lifted the wheel off the ground on the left side and the tire just sort of clunked and fell out from the top a bit. I could take the tire and wobble the whole thing around. I took off the wheel, went to take the brake master cylinder off, grabbed it and it wobbled around too. Took off the brakes, rotor and found 2 hub bolts completely missing and the third one on its way out!

The thing that really scared me about this is we just came back from a trip to BC through the rockies!

This side was obviously dissassembled due to the outer CV being worked on at the dealership as part of the safety. My wifes brother is a certified vehicle safety inspector and had worked at a Chrysler dealership for a time and was with me when we dissembled this. He said the remaining bold had no loctite(blue) on it and it looked like copper anti-seize put on it instead. He tells me that anti-seize would have the opposite effect of loctite and would make them slide out. Also there should be no way in hell these bolts should work themselves loose like this. I talked to the service techs and my local dealership and when I told them what happened their jaws nearly hit the ground. They said the same thing "no way this should happen!"

I ordered new bolts and assembled them according to correct torque specs, now the brake master cylinder is loose and wobbly i can take it and wobble it back and forth across the surface of the rotor (not in and out, but up and down). The pads are off the top surface of the rotor. Also there is excessive wear on the inside of both front tires. I fear there has also been stess or damages to other components, but I dont know enough to find problems like that. I dont even want to pull it out of my driveway now.

The service desk guy at this dealership and the 3 mechanics at my dealership in town had said that this sounds like the result of bad service workmanship. The service manager thought otherwise. I feel this is something that the dealership should cover to have fixed and any other problem or failures because of this. The dealership service manager just blew me off and acted as if this was just something that happens all the time and tried to get rid of me as quick as he could. He did not offer to help or cover in anyway. I really dont know what the "5-Star Service" is supposed to mean.

You may or may not beleive this, but their used vehicle warranty was 20% off parts and labour ... for 7 months at their dealership only. Thats it they might have well just gave me a coupon.

:help:

So I am just looking for some comments or suggestions on what route I should take with this, or if others have had a similar experience and how it was handled. Or am I just going to get the shaft?

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
First off, this is in the wrong forum- this is first gen Dakota 1986-1990. I noted some other things below.

skidsteer226 said:
I could take the tire and wobble the whole thing around. I took off the wheel, went to take the brake master cylinder off, grabbed it and it wobbled around too.
Tha master cylinder is on the fire wall, not on by the wheels. A caliper is mounted by the wheel.

skidsteer226 said:
My wifes brother is a certified vehicle safety inspector and had worked at a Chrysler dealership for a time and was with me when we dissembled this. He said the remaining bold had no loctite(blue) on it and it looked like copper anti-seize put on it instead. He tells me that anti-seize would have the opposite effect of loctite and would make them slide out.
Anti sieze won't make a properly torqued bolt "slide out". It's also very common for calipers and caliper brackets to be attached without the use of loctite.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Pull the stick out GREGZ, its affecting your MOOD. The post is OLD, + be nice and help the guy if you know anything and if you don't, CARRY ON TO THE NEXT SECTION>

·
Registered
100 Posts
Gee, I thought i WAS helping and being nice. I let him know the correct term for a part and also a bit about anti seize and loctite. I don't see any other posts offering any help to him. The topic seems to have been mostly ignored. Perhaps you should have just "carried on to the next section" instead of attacking me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts