Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HS 1.7 Roller Rockers and Zinc break in?

Picked myself up a set from Summit today. I need a decent torque wrench before I put them on though. They recommend soaking them in oil or an additive that containts zinc and runninig the same thing in the crank for 500-1000 miles. I have never heard of this in any of the install threads I have read. How important is it?

·
7,610 Posts
yea that doesnt sound quite right since that was mostly down in the la motors not the mags, ive got the same rockers and i didnt do the zinc additive if it helps, also torqued mine to 22 ft lbs

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well when I was looking around zinc seemed to be a big deal with flat tappet cams, but I didn't find anything other than that.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
2 things-
1-if you really feel the need for zinc,then buy oil designed for diesel engines
2-when torqueing down the allen bolts,just use a 3/8 drive ratchet and tighten them down all the way.there is absolutely NO way to over tighten these rockers (just the risk of snapping the bolts),and thats almost impossible with a 3/8 standard ratchet and allen head socket !!! after i installed mine and torqued my left bank,i double checked them with a standard 8 1/2 in. ratchet and was only able to tighten just one bolt,which made me believe that only 20-25 foot pounds is all thats available out of a 3/8 ratchet.:banana2:

·
Home School Valedictorian
4,227 Posts
The zinc is to aid in break in of flat tappet cams, rollers do not need the high level of zinc.
Zinc has been found to cause problems with cat converters.
One of the last Diesel oils with higher zinc content was Rotella, not the case any more.
Google ZDDP, there are specialty oils and additives with the ZDDP in it, if you need it.

·
99 Durango 5.9 part out
1,252 Posts
I saw an ad on moparts for a break in oil that was high zinc. It was brad penn

Penn Grade 1® Break-In Oil
SAE 30 mono-grade oil formulated specifically to meet the critical lubrication needs of new engines during break-in while allowing proper seating of rings and component ‘run-in’. Enhanced levels of “zinc” (zinc dialkyldithiophosphate a.k.a. ZDDP) and superior oil film strength from Penn Grade™ base oils offer complete anti-wear, anti-scuffing protection for even the most demanding of applications such as those presented by break-in of engines with ‘flat tappet’ cams.

·
registered abuser
450 Posts
I just installed my HS 1.7's this past weekend.
I soaked them in Brad Penn 20-50 oil for two days. The brad penn oil is out of the same refinery as Kendall GT came from back in the day. Brad Penn also has a break in oil but I didn't have any on hand.
I run a Porsche shop in SoCal and we are sold on the brad penn stuff, especially in older air cooled cars. Most if not all of the modern oils have removed zinc and zddp. The newer oil has lower film strength and has shown increased wear.

As far as deisel oils, we prefer Chervron Delo400 for its additives. Its cheaper than brad penn but not synthetic

Mobil 1 has a V-twin motorcycle oil that has a nice list of additives as well. I have this oil mixed with brad penn in my truck at the moment while my rockers brake in.

·
Registered
333 Posts
well how are the improvements over stock. And MPG +'s

·
registered abuser
450 Posts
well how are the improvements over stock. And MPG +'s
I only drove it for 2 miles to make sure everything was alright and its been parked awaiting a new throttle and SCT tune later this week. Felt damn strong for those two miles, really noticed a pick up in power while off of boost in lower rpm's. I didnt get on the highway to feel top end yet.

MPG sucks before and after lol, check my mods in sig. I get 14-16 on the highway, I average about 12.5mpg overall. Time will tell but i'm not holding my breath

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The zinc is to aid in break in of flat tappet cams, rollers do not need the high level of zinc.
Zinc has been found to cause problems with cat converters.
One of the last Diesel oils with higher zinc content was Rotella, not the case any more.
Google ZDDP, there are specialty oils and additives with the ZDDP in it, if you need it.
I ditched the cat so it's not an issue. And from what I've read the only way the zinc is going to end up in the exhaust is by bad rings or PCV, and I intend to get breathers soon.

I was looking at zinc levels and the rotella still seemed to be about 300ppb higher than most other oils.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How much does it cost? But I don't exactly feel like ordering it online. Haven't seen any at the local shops around here.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts