Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 Durango R/T with only 62K miles..I love the truck ,i really do!!
but i have been getting my ass kicked by everything on the street.
so far i installed a fipk intake,headers and exhaust. and i must say i felt no gains.... i want more power so im looking for some tips on hp. im planning on a tune up soon and im looking to replace with performance parts. please list prefered parts. im planning on installing a M 1 intake and a set of heads but im on a serious budget. im also building a 87 grand national.
if anyone knows cheap upgrades please list them.. iv installed over a thousand bucks in parts and i feel it was waisted. not interested in saving gas not my daily..as of now im getting avg 7.6 mpg and i only use sunoco or shell 93.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
for the tune up.. part #s and who has them would be helpful. iv seen other threads but i want to do it step by step the right way!! i dont want to order a part and find out its junk.
and for the M1 intake and heads what is the best stock recipe?? im doing it one by one so what should i do first?? and i want to keep the block stock. i know im no fun but like i said building a gn. thanks guys!!!!

·
Back in black
2,929 Posts
Mods work best together, not one by one. Which is why you havent really noticed any gains..plus FIPK and exhaust arent big performance mods anyway, but it'll help everything as a package.

When you do a set of heads, might as well do a cam while you're at it. The M1 and a good throttle body would be good too along with a set of roller rockers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
if i take the clutch fan off wont i run hot??
and as for weezy what cam and rockers should i go with ?? and what heads should i go with??? im buying one part at a time but i will install at once.(since the intake comes off when im doing the heads.)
and do the sct's come pre programed?? or do i need to pay some one to tune it?

·
Back in black
2,929 Posts
if i take the clutch fan off wont i run hot??
and as for weezy what cam and rockers should i go with ?? and what heads should i go with??? im buying one part at a time but i will install at once.(since the intake comes off when im doing the heads.)
and do the sct's come pre programed?? or do i need to pay some one to tune it?
I believe the newer trucks have an electric fan that'll keep your truck running cool. Im not 100% on that though, I never took my clutch fan off.

As far as cam, rockers, and heads... Id go with Harland Sharp 1.6's rockers, but theres plenty of other choices out there. If you get 1.7's it'll bump your lift up a little but if you're already getting a cam, I'd just stick with 1.6's and run the advertised lift of the cam. Cam selection is kind of hard to say...depends on your application and what you plan to use the truck for. Your best bet would be to call a cam company (like comp) and tell them your goals for the truck and they'll gring a cam for your application. For heads, there's a few different choice. I plan on running the aluminum Eddy heads but their a little more expensive. Indy is another more expensive choice. Then EQ seems to be a popular choice as well and they arent too expensive. Do a search on them though, theres a place that a few people got EQs from and they werent happy with them, I cant think of the place right now though. Anywhere but there you should be good to go.

SCT comes 3 different ways. You can order it with 3 "canned" tunes tailored to your mods. You can order it with the 3 tunes plus unlimited tunes in case you change anything later you wont have to pay to have it retuned. Then you can also order it the PRP (pro race package) which gives you all the software to do all the tuning yourself.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
4,296 Posts
ok first off your in a 6000lbs station wagon designed to haul kids to and from school and soccer practice you're going to get stomped by almost everything made today.

You have the right idea about the direction to take your mods. came heads intake are the best you can do with out pulling the whole motor or slapping on a Super Charger.

The M1 is pretty much our only option for intakes. the 4bbl flows a bit more than the 2bbl but if your not looking for a 400+ monster motor the 2bbl will be plenty with a 52mm TB or if you want a little more punch a 52x55mm TB.

heads are a matter of what do you want to do verse what do you want to spend. aluminum vs iron. However what ever way you decide I recommend the 2.02 intakes and the 1.60 exhaust seems to be the best performance option for our heads for the money and it will let you expand the power later if you want.

cam anything with more than a .500 lift is going to get that hopped up v8 lope to it. you can either do this with a cam and stock 1.6 lifters or step up to 1.7's and a smaller (possibly cheaper) cam such as a traditional "RV" cam which if my math is correct should put it around .510 or .515 lift.

How fast do you want to spend?

·
Unregistered User
1,051 Posts
Once you hit 25 mph or so, you start pushing more air through the grill then any fan could hope to pull. The fans are really only there for the times you are stuck in slow traffic or idling standing still in warm weather. I took my clutch fan off and only had a heat issue once when it was 100 degrees out at altitude and I was sitting still in a parking lot. If you plan on making this perminant though, it is a good idea to upgrade you e-fan to something stronger.

You have opened up the exhaust a fair amount, but the bulk of the intake is still stock. Letting more air out doesn't do much if you can't get any in. You should notice it wake up quite a bit with a better manifold, heads and TB. If you are wanting to keep it cheap and put more money into the grand national, you could probably port the TB, intake manifolds and heads in your garage for free and throw on a set of 1.7 RR's and wake it up a bunch for not much $$$$. Wouldn't be as much power as an M-1 and eddy heads, but a hell of a lot cheaper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.