Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a factory setup when I'm in 4x4 and any of the front or rear tires are slipping they spin.

Would like to assess upgrading the pumpkin to LSD. Maybe an electric lockup version would work well, as I can activate it when I manually switch to 4x4 and deactivate when I switch to normal traction control.

Anyone ever do this? Those with experience in this type of DIY... is it a big job?

I am experienced with engines and general mechanic work, so not a stranger to grease. Follow manuals well and can interpret well when they fall short.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Old Fart
182 Posts
Replacing a differential carrier isn't all that difficult, as long as you're not changing the gears. You just need to measure the backlash before you take it apart, then set it the same when you put it back together with the new carrier.

Obviously, you need to set the proper carrier bearing preload, make sure everything is torqued to spec, etc., but it's nothing you shouldn't be able to do in an afternoon if you're a decent mechanic.

Which rear end do you have?

BTW, I personally wouldn't bother with electric or air lockers. They're expensive and have a bunch more stuff to go wrong. A regular limited-slip will work fine in most situations and doesn't add all the complexity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts