Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Disclaimer: Dakota-Durango or myself are NOT responsible for any damage or unhappiness that may occur while doing this mod. Doing this mod is strictly out of your own will.

How To: Paint Your Stock Rims

First of all there are many owners out there who have done this SIMPLE mod. If any of the guys out there want to add anything feel free. This mod is definitely not the hardest, however taking your time and having a completely free day will make this much easier.

Products:
2-3 Cans of Dupli Color Engine Spray Paint (Wal-Mart, Auto Zone ect…) 2.00-3.50 Can
2-3 Cans of Dupli-Color Touch Up Spray CLEAR COAT Paint 3.50 Can
5-10 Sheets of 220 Grit Sand Paper (This is where you can decide what you want to use…)
Tape
Time

Prep:
Begin by washing the wheels with a mild soap and dry them after cleaning. Next, to make things easy I would suggest taping off where you do not want paint to go first. This not only makes sanding easy but it gets rid of one of the boring parts up front

1-Wash/Dry
2. -Tape Off
3. -Begin Sanding
You will know you are done sanding when it is does not have a shine at all and the texture of the wheel feels slightly rough. You will only make the paint stick better if you take your time sanding.
4. -Rinse with water and dry, make sure all moisture is gone and you have a completely dry working surface.

Painting:
Taking your time and not trying to be a master painter will make this easier. You don’t need any special touch or ability to do this. Just some patience and your favorite drink…or smoke.

1.- Apply the first coat ensuring that you cover everywhere you want paint completely, but not putting down a heavy coat. Wait appx. 10-15mins. Place your finger in a unseen spot and see if it is dry to the touch. Repeat this step 2 more times and feel free to sand in-between. I did not sand in-between coats. After the final coat wait a little longer and ensure that the surface is not completely dry however it is not completely wet either. Good judgment is key with this mod.

2.-Apply clear coat following the same steps as above. Once again take your time. Some people will argue that clear coat is not necessary, that may be true however clear coat will give a long lasting shine and help protect from rock chips and the curb, a little bit.

Finished:
This step in which removing the tape is concerned can make or break your whole day and natural high from the paint fumes. It is essential that you carefully remove the tape and don’t pull paint off the wheels when you do this. You should wait about 30-60 minutes after the last coat of clear coat before removing tape. You can’t wait all day because then the paint and tape will bond together thus making it very hard to remove the tape without pulling some off of the wheel. Be careful mounting the wheels as well, if you do this all in one day, the wheels will not be 100% dry and if your read the spray can it says 48-72hrs to cure 100%. Does this mean your paint will get ruined if you drive with them one before they cure fully, NO but you should use some caution and try not to go rock crawling or curb jumping for a few days.

Results will vary.

·
Administrator
79,422 Posts
MoparREVolution said:
Disclaimer: Dakota-Durango or myself are NOT responsible for any damage or unhappiness that may occur while doing this mod. Doing this mod is strictly out of your own will.

Those look awsome. Great job! But you might wanna add the word NOT right before responsible in your disclaimer. Don't want anyone to try to blame you or the site. :biggthump

G

·
MoparREVolution said:
Disclaimer: Dakota-Durango or myself are responsible for any damage or unhappiness that may occur while doing this mod. Doing this mod is strictly out of your own will.
:D LOL So you're saying you are responsible if we fucked this up? Now that's a bud!!! :biggthump

Good job on the wheels. Looks awesome. I'd like to paint my R/T's but think I'll have them powder coated or something. :drive:

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
2,307 Posts
I can't wait to see some finished pics, good step by step

Only thing I would do different, is add primer to the list. Even though some cans say you don't need it. Every bit of bonding strength you can add to the wheels the better!!! Lastly I would have clear coated the whole rim even where paint wasn't applied and wet sand in between coats for some added shine. This will protect the edges where the paint and unpainted areas meet from chipping.

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
think they would look better if you would stop the black where the spoke meets the rim and not go to the end of the rim. but a great cheap mod to change the look of your truck.

I was wondering if RT rims can fit on a 03 4X4 dakota? I seen a silver one around here that looks like rt rims and is 4x4. I like the chrome look and clean looks the rt rims has. so I odnt know if they are true rt rims or aftermarket copies.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Jecht said:
thanks now when I can find a set and have the money I will be set lol
Buy me some CCW's and u can have my R/T wheels. Great deal, pm me and we will work out the details.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
I tend to agree with most all of what was said...

DupliColor does make actualy wheel paint, it has a higher "luster" than engine paints do...

Also between coats of paint and clear, I'd remove the tape that covers the silver of the wheel to, and ultra lightly colorsand the fresh paint (after letting it fully cure for a day or so) to remove any possible "edge" building up... Then layer on the clear... LOTS of clear!

Don't forget people, it's PAINTED, you CAN wax your wheels, makes cleanup a SNAP, you get 2 or 3 coats of good high Q wax on your wheels, brake dust washed off without a rag, just H20!

My $.02 I did a set of wagon wheels on my Sisters ol Cherokee, paint was still looking cherry after 4 years of me wheelin the CRAP outa that thing when I sold it!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm due for some new tires, I was thinking of pulling the tires off, painting the WHOLE rim inside and out, and then having the new tires installed... What would be the best thing to use to remove the build up of brake dust and crap on the inside of the wheel?? I've pulled the wheels and gone in there before with wheel cleaner and a wire brush and all of it wouldn't come off... I guess since I'd be painting them anyways I could just sand them right down.. that should take care of the buildup... Any thoughts?
Excellent how-to by the way :biggthump

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
I'm not sure if R/T wheels are aluminum, if they are, I wouldn't try this. If they are steel go get some "Parts Solvent" it'll take care of whatever is on the wheel, and even start to remove that pesky old paint for ya!

Just a though, what about painting the backside of the wheel black so it never looks dirty again? My 8 hole wheels don't show enough of the backside for me to worry about, I saw an S10 with 18" billets and he had the backside powercoated semigloss black, made the wheel really "stand out" since it looked like it was just kinda floating there

·
Registered
135 Posts
MeanThree18 said:
I'm not sure if R/T wheels are aluminum, if they are, I wouldn't try this. If they are steel go get some "Parts Solvent" it'll take care of whatever is on the wheel, and even start to remove that pesky old paint for ya!
I forget if they are aluminum too... I thought they were, but if not I'll give that a try, thanks man :biggthump

MeanThree18 said:
Just a though, what about painting the backside of the wheel black so it never looks dirty again?
Yup, that's exactly what I mean, I want every surface of the wheel painted black :toast:

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
May I suggest that you call up a powdercoating shop near you before you commit to painting them. A: You might be amazed how cheap they can be done (or not, depends on the shop). B: Powdercoating is 100X more resistant than paint to damned near anything!

If you do paint them. Make sure you colorsand before you clear! You'll LOVE the results if you have a nice glass smooth black coat with clear, it's amazingly sexy! (I painted a set of Lund Hoodscoops for my buddies black ram. hit them with gloss black, colorsanded them perfectly smooth with 2500, and then burried them in like 10 coats of clear (colorsanded about every 3rd coat, dont think it was nessicarry though) then sanded with 3000 grit and buffed em out! Holly Crap they looked 10x better than his stock paint did. And that was rattle can High Gloss Black paint! FYI :biggthump

·
Registered
135 Posts
MeanThree18 said:
May I suggest that you call up a powdercoating shop near you before you commit to painting them. A: You might be amazed how cheap they can be done (or not, depends on the shop). B: Powdercoating is 100X more resistant than paint to damned near anything!
Yeah, I would MUCH prefer powder coat... I'll have to look into that. I had just made the assumption that powder coat would be cost prohibitive...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Sorry about bumping this ancient thread, but its a good one. I just picked up a set of SRT4 wheels for my girl's Neon (doing the Skittle conversion, bit by bit), and I'm going to be refinishing them. I'll probably do the R/T wheels once I'm comfortable with the technique.

The O.P. mentioned using 220 grit paper. Wouldn't it be better to use a 280 or 300 wet paper?

I've seen the other thread on this topic, and it was recommended to use 2500 and 3000 grit paper on the color and clear coats respectively, and then going for a fine compound. Yet a thread on DakUSA mentioned using 1500 paper and then starting with 1500 polishing compound and working up to 2500 or 3000 compound.

What to do?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh wow, I must have subscribed to this thread way back when it was posted because I just got an email saying that there was a reply... coincidental because earlier today I was saying how I missed my Dakota!
I saw the new owner driving it the other day and she's absolutely beat to $#!t.... was pretty upset about it... the guys' using it as a work truck and the top of the tailgate was all banged in from throwing things in there and the chrome grills all rusted... :(
I guess her second owner isn't quite showing her the same love that I did...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.