Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2000 dodge durango SLT and i was wondering if there is anyway possible to get better gas milege? it gets about 14 mpg right now. thanx guys.

·
July Truck of the Month
572 Posts
Welcome to the boards. If you want to increase gas mileage you should have bought a honda! :rofl:
Seriously though, an aftermarket intake system along with a good muffler (like flowmaster) will give you better gas mileage. Those are some ideas to get ya started. Do a search for more info, there's about a 1000 posts about this topic. :biggthump

·
Registered
50 Posts
Aftermarket Intake
Hi Flow exhaust (Flowmaster)
Tonneau Cover (added 3 mpg when i put mine on)
those would be the top three things

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm at the stage right now were I dont care. I want to here the engine when I get on it :drive: . We'll see how long that lasts though :jester:

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
1,549 Posts
You need to spend money to save money LOL!!!

-Properly inflate your tires.
-Loose extra weight in the truck of things you don't need (ie:junk)
-Don't push the truck (ie:heavy foot)
-Turn off OD like Wicked R/T said
-Run Synthetic fluids in the motor/tranny/transfer case/front and rear ends
-Air intake
-High flow muffler like a Magnaflow
-How's the alignment?? Does she pull to one side??
-Check the brakes to make sure they aren't grabbing when driving.
-A tune up always helps!! Change the plugs and wires, PVC valve (if needed)
-A/C also sucks a lot of gas, turn it off if you really don't need it.

·
Registered
421 Posts
bluedodge said:
i have a 2000 dodge durango SLT and i was wondering if there is anyway possible to get better gas milege? it gets about 14 mpg right now. thanx guys.

bluedodge,

Use 5w-30 synthetic oil, replace the air filter and last pump-up your tires to maximum. On the highway my 01" Durango can get 21.2 MPG barely! BUT it can be done.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have Mobil1 synthetic in the engine and Amsoil synthetic everywhere else. Tranny, diff's, trransfer case. I also keep my tires at 40 lbs. Less rolling resistance. I have gotten 21 mpg on the highway. the 5w-30 oil is good also. Keep out the 40 wt. It does seem to bog down a little.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Driving habbits (keeping your foot off the floor) and route selections (highway instead of city) are your best bet --- along with properly maintaining your vehicle.

I put a high-flow exhaust on my vehicle and MAYBE gained 1/2 mpg improvement (if I would keep my foot off of the gas). If you experience the same gains on your truck - do the math: To go from 14 to 14.5 MPG with a gas cost of $2.59 per gallon would save you $0.0064/mile. If the exhaust cost you $100, you would have to drive over 15,000 miles to pay for it.

Screw economy. Do it because it sounds good.

·
Registered
421 Posts
bluedodge said:

bluedodge,

I have a completely stock 01 Durango with the 4.7 engine. Based from your question you must have the big 5.9 cuz my engine gets better mileage ( 21.2 highway with a combined 18.2 ) than that. I'd change the oil to a 5W-30 synthetic oil, check your tire pressure, keep the air cleaner/filter clean and such. Then tank it up and take a good drive to get a baseline for your figures.

rimfire,22

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Extra fuel miles

I've heard you can change a computer chip or have it reprogrammed for better mileage, I've been curious about it too but I'm not sure who does this.

marlea

·
Registered
139 Posts
Definately check your tire pressure. Especially when the seasons change. I didnt think much about it until I just happened to check mine. All 4 tires were 10-15 psi below the recommended. I filled them all up and gained about 2-4 mpg.

·
DANGURO5
132 Posts
Wtf!!!!!!

What the hell are you other durango's doing to get a combined in the 20's. the best i have gotten in the past couple of months was 16.6 and that was with a majority highway driving. What the hell do i have to do to get that milage :help: . I bet it has something to do with NY gas stations putting :bs2: in the gas to have people coming back more often :cussing:

·
Registered
421 Posts
DaMAK5 said:
What the hell are you other durango's doing to get a combined in the 20's. the best i have gotten in the past couple of months was 16.6 and that was with a majority highway driving. What the hell do i have to do to get that milage :help: . I bet it has something to do with NY gas stations putting :bs2: in the gas to have people coming back more often :cussing:
DaMAK5,

My Durango's completly stock except for using synthetic oil in the engine. No custom exhaust or any super chips. Just check the tire pressure, synthetic oil, fresh air filter and wash and wax. I also ONLY use regular gas only. What you keep in you yours? The only thing that I can think of is the internal weight. What tires you use? It might be the type of tire you use. Check/evaluate everything.

I suggest you experiment. Do everything above and fill the tank completely. Reset your trip computer and take a good trip somewhere. Drive carefully and don't gas it unless you need to. Cruise nice and easy and don't hot rod it! If you can't get somewhere close to 21.2 barely in yours I think you should take the Durango in to the dealership. It might need a good tune-up.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys,

Im new here and this tread sparked my interest.
Currently Im residing in Poland and things are a little complicated...
Dealership is Chrysler/Jeep and they know squat about Dodge!
I have a '99 Durango (5,9 SLT) Canadian version so everything is in KM and not miles.

My problem is that i get about 8 mpg in the City.
I live in Warsaw and there are no highways and major traffic jams (i.e. NYC).
The truck is stock except for synthetic oil in engine and tranny.
Just had a tune up.

Sure I drive fast, but 8mpg? come one...
There has to be something wrong !!!

PS By the way, my Durango is on BF Goodrich AT tires...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Dante5 said:
Hey guys,

Im new here and this tread sparked my interest.
Currently Im residing in Poland and things are a little complicated...
Dealership is Chrysler/Jeep and they know squat about Dodge!
I have a '99 Durango (5,9 SLT) Canadian version so everything is in KM and not miles.

My problem is that i get about 8 mpg in the City.
I live in Warsaw and there are no highways and major traffic jams (i.e. NYC).
The truck is stock except for synthetic oil in engine and tranny.
Just had a tune up.

Sure I drive fast, but 8mpg? come one...
There has to be something wrong !!!

PS By the way, my Durango is on BF Goodrich AT tires...

Dante5,

You must have the big engine cuz my 4.7 will blow yours away mileage wise. Since you have no freeways or highways then you can't really test the capabilities of your "D". Your BF's are meant for more rugged terrain as mine are meant for more USA type highways. My 21.2 MPG is based solely on highway driving and is NOT a combined figure. My figures are based from my overhead console only and not from any mathmatics from paper. For the best mileage don't speed!!!! Your Chrysler dealership doesn't know anything about Dodge? Heck dude Chrysler can't service they're own vehicles. They should be able to handle all of the products they manufacture. Anyway gotta go back to work. Be strong and have a great holiday in Poland.

rimfire,22 :wave:

·
Registered
213 Posts

FUEL ECONOMY

We are all looking for ways to increase fuel economy with gasoline between $2 and $3 a gallon.

Fuel economy can be very difficult for the consumer to accurately gauge. If you fill up at a warmer part of the day one week compared to the previous week you can sometimes see a huge fluctuation in MPG just based on that. Also, the pump may have stopped pumping sooner this week compared to last, making it "seem" like you used less (or more) gallons of fuel.

SWITCHING TO SYNTHETIC LUBRICANTS IMPROVES FUEL ECONOMY (MPG)

It has been proven by AMSOIL (and other leading oil manufacturers and suppliers) through use of industry accepted fuel economy tests, field demonstrations (and as witnessed by most of our customers), that switching to synthetic oils and lubricants can (and does) improve fuel economy (mpg).

VISCOSITY

Depending upon your driving habits, conditions, and climate ... switching viscosities can improve fuel economy also. I've observed a MPG increase when switching grades (5w-30 vs. 10w-40).

FUEL EFFICIENT LUBRICANTS

Tighter government regulations and increases in engine manufacturers’ demands are calling for more fuel efficient lubricants. AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils and Lubricants reduce friction and drag better than petroleum oils, resulting in significant fuel economy increases.

In a 1.2 million mile demonstration, AMSOIL Lubricants showed a 4.5% increase in gas mileage. Other tests have shown increases of as much as 15% under certain weather and driving conditions. Yet, because every vehicle is different, as are driving habits and conditions, it is difficult to accurately project an exact increase.

For additional synthetic lubricant and filter information you can visit my AMSOIL FORUM on this website.

·
Air Force Computer Geek
29 Posts
I got 19.5 mpg this October driving from Spokane, WA to Phoenix, AZ. That was average for the one way trip. I used synthetic oil, and I took the luggage rack off. Mind you the truck was full, ie. 30 days of clothes tolietries, etc, 2 dogs in Kennels, snacks, me and the wife. But I still got close to 20 mpg.

·
Registered
213 Posts

Howdy 99durango318,

I stated this in my INTRO in the AMSOIL FORUM ... My interest in Dodge Dakota's and Dodge Durango's is that I have a cousin and a bro-in-law that own two Dodge Dealerships, and I have owned Dodge Trucks and Vans in the past. (FYI ... my bro-in-law also owns a Ferrari and Maserati Dealership ... and YES ... driving them :drive: is an exilarating experience for those of you who haven't had the opportunity).

My brother, Duane Roark, who has been an AMSOIL DEALER for 10 years (he introduced me to AMSOIL years ago), will be helping me to answer questions. Duane is also a certified gasoline and diesel mechanic (and he owns a diesel Ram) so he knows a lot about lubrication and filtration (and Dodge trucks).

You may also recognize me from advertising and web sponsorship on other Dakota / Durango websites. :clap2:

:banana2: HAPPY to be here, HAPPY to be a Site Sponsor ... and thanks for the welcome ..... :wave:

Thank You,

Steven Roark, AMSOIL DEALER # 1061837 www.American-Synthetic-Oil.com

Since the introduction of AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil in 1972, AMSOIL has developed the most complete line of synthetic lubricants and automotive products in the world: AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oil, Gear Lubes and Lubricants (Greases, Hydraulic Oils, Compressor Oils, Transmission Fluids, 2-Cycle Oils); AMSOIL Ea Air and Oil Filters (nanofiber technology); Antifreeze; Industrial Products; Speciality Products; Donaldson and WIX Filters; BOSCH Spark Plugs, Wire Sets and Wiper Blades; Etc., Etc., Etc.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.