Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The window 'lock-out' button in the drivers door switch unit has a loose connection inside (verified with multi-meter, wiring diagram etc) causing the window switches on the front passenger and rear doors to work intermittently (they aren't getting power sometimes). I'm pretty handy with electronics and a soldering gun/pen, so I figured I'd try to fix it before spending the $$ on replacing it. :banana2:

I unscrewed all the screws on the back of it and unsnapped the clips on the sides but I can't get the thing to separate. Looks like the window switches are holding it together. How do I disconnect the tops of the window & door lock switches and window 'lock-out' button without breaking them? :huh: Any tips would be greatly appreciated...

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
They are lipped/tounged together if I recall correctly. However, I highly doubt you will repair it, better plan on buying a new one.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are lipped/tounged together if I recall correctly.
Cool. I'll look closer tonight. I may need new/better glasses. :jester:

However, I highly doubt you will repair it, better plan on buying a new one.
I verified that the pin for the lock-out switch is loose in the unit. If I press it one direction it stops working. If I press it the other direction it starts working. This indicates a bad solder joint/connection which should be easily fixable. The problem is getting the damn thing apart.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
The switch 'caps' are just that, caps. They'll pop off, but they take some force.

Fight the urge to fiddle with the window and lock switches. Mine were a little notchy so I thought I'd clean them up and hit them with dielectric grease...they wouldn't work after that. No contact.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it apart, finally. Was a PITA. Felt like I was going to brake each cap trying to pry it off. Once i got the button/switch caps off, I was able to seperate the unit and take a look at the board. Sure enough, the solder joint for the lock-out switch was cracked. I can move the wire it was supposed to be holding to the board up/down. That explains why the passenger window switches would work intermittently.

Now to de-solder the joint, and re-solder it so its like new. :mullet:

·
The Anti-RUB
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now to de-solder the joint, and re-solder it so its like new. :mullet:
Got it done today. Took about 2 minutes of prep, 5 seconds of soldering, and 1 minute with a multi-meter checking the connections. Its as good as new. :drive:

Saved myself $100. :banana2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info. I agree with you about wanting to fix something if possible versus throwing it away and buying a new one instead. I spent 9 years in the Air Force repairing both analog and digital circuits. So when I have an electrical issue on a vehicle I love the challenge. My wife hates it though as I rarely throw out old electrical parts as I might be able to use something else from it down the road. :)

Anyhow, thanks again for sharing the info on the switches. I have a couple failed switches on my '98 Durango SLT that need looking at.

Ruppster

·
Registered
4 Posts
Holy 12yr old thread Batman. However still very relevant. I was hesitant in popping off my buttons to separate the two halves before finding this thread.
My lockout button on my 01 Durango has always seemingly been intermittent but my drivers side window just the other day stopped responding to the switch and that demanded an intervention.

Upon separation, I also found cracked solder joints on the PCBA. Going to reflow those and put it back in the Durango.

Window switch pins had some cracking:
Green Terrestrial plant Electronic component Technology Electronic engineering

Lockout switch pin was the worst: Being so close to the edge of the PCBA in an area that sees flexing.
Circuit component Green Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electronic component

1 - 8 of 8 Posts