Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I have an '03 4x4 4.7L D and its getting about that time to change the front diff fluid. I have already done the rear. My question is, how do I get the front pumpkin down far enough so I can reach all the bolts etc to take the diff plate off? On my truck there is about an inch of room, which isn't enough for a good torque rench. Thanks in advance...

--Rob

·
Yes it's a lowered 4X4
1,549 Posts
The way I did it, I just remove the fill plug and stuck a hose inside and pumped out the old fluid and then pumped in the new fluid. That's it!! Too much work to remove the cover, in such a tight spot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I found this nice fluid pump that I used to change my diff fluid. (front and rear) can be found at pep boys and autozone (I think) or check wal-mart. usually orange or pinkish in color with a hand pump like a small bike pump.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, i have that same pump from pep-boys (only $25 or something like that). Works pretty well. I would prefer, however, to take the plate off and clean the diff out properly etc.

Making the new seal isn't that big of an issue. Pretty simple actually if you apply the seal-goop to the pumpkin instead of the plate (assuming you can get access to the plate). Makes putting the plate back on alot easier.

--Rob

·
The Anti-RUB
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I figured out how to get that damn plate off the front diff. Through the oil filter access hole I joined together a couple extension rods and I was able to reach the bolts at the top of the plate. The access hole gave me enough room to use my socket and torque wrench. There was only one bolt I wasn't able to get to with a socket/torque wrench because it was too close to (what I assume is) the stearing pump. So I had to use a standard open end wrench. Thanks again to everyone who replied to this thread...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I definitely recommend taking the diff. cover off and cleaning it out, but using the pump makes for less mess when draining the fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.