241 - 260 of 288 Posts

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
I have 01 dak, worked. your good

·
Registered
34 Posts
So not to beat a dead horse..... But is there a way to keep all stock amp and head unit and add a amp for a subwoofer. im not super worried about minor details. I have alot of experience with aftermarket stereos just not the wiring aspect with all those extra wires.

·
American Rebel.
13,453 Posts
So not to beat a dead horse..... But is there a way to keep all stock amp and head unit and add a amp for a subwoofer. im not super worried about minor details. I have alot of experience with aftermarket stereos just not the wiring aspect with all those extra wires.
harder than just rewiring a new headunit.

I apologize if I'm repeating someone, does this work on a 04 Dodge Ram 1500 w/ 7 speaker Infinity w/o uConnect?
no

·
Registered
1 Posts
If yall want we can make these for you $25 + shipping. We have a crap ton of thoes plugs and when we do it we changed all the wires to green, white, grey, purple, Red, Black so when you go to wire up a 4 channel amp you dont have to pin try to find out what is what. You can just shoot me a msg on here if you would like one.

PS this works on the 2001 durango as well.
Are you still making these adapter bypass plug for the Durango?

·
Ole Gray Beard
13 Posts
I read a few posts in here regarding by-passing the amp on late 90s/early 00s Durangos a Dakotas with a harness. It's a great idea, and a huge time saver, and I would like to find one to fit my '04 Durango with the Infinity sound system. I installed a new radio and Maestro module to retain steering wheel controls. It didn't work at first, and the company wrote a new firmware for it and it worked. A couple weeks ago the battery died, so I installed a new one, and since then there is no sound. I installed the factory radio and it has no sound, so I'm thinking the amp is bad. After all this long winded typing, I'm simply looking for an easy way to by-pass the amp.

Topher

·
Registered
285 Posts
the older amp gauges had a habit of going bad. most people just get bare wire and wrap it around the two posts to disable it. then put a volt meter in. the volt meter will really give more info than an amp gauge. has your amp gauge ever told you that the bat voltage was low?

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
the older amp gauges had a habit of going bad. most people just get bare wire and wrap it around the two posts to disable it. then put a volt meter in. the volt meter will really give more info than an amp gauge. has your amp gauge ever told you that the bat voltage was low?
Dude. Use your brain and read the thread - hell READ WHAT SECTION the thread is in - hell READ THE DAMN POST YOU ARE RESPONDING TO - before you post. This thread is about the INFINITY AMPLIFIER, not an ammeter, you dolt.

Not to mention full current/non shunted ammeters have not been used in Chrysler vehicles since 1981, and ammeters were abandoned completely by 1994. :slap:

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
As for the question, it's not as simple on an 04 as it is on the earlier Infinity systems. The early amplifiers were 4-in/4-out, so all you had to do was connect the ins directly to the outs. Starting in 04, they are 2-in/6-out.. The front/rear fade and the subwoofer crossover are actually done by the amplifier. There is only a left and right feed between the radio and the amp - the radio tells the amp how to fade front to back and the sub levels via the CANBUS connection. So the simple pin-to-pin jumper connectors in this thread are not going to work.

Basically your only options are to run all new speaker cables from the head unit to the speaker locations (the recommended way, since the factory wiring is only 20ga), or run new speaker wires from the head unit to the amp location and tie them into the factory speaker wires from there. I honestly don't know if there is a ready to go adapter harness that will fit the newer amp connectors.. The Metra connectors that work for the earlier units seemed to be a freak coincidence. Don't know if anyone has figured out a compatible match for the 04's. You will probably have to lop off the connectors and splice the wires together.

·
Ole Gray Beard
13 Posts
I found a By-Pass Harness from Metra-part#70-6504. It plugs into the amp plugs in the vehicle and then you run the wires up to the head unit. Easy-Peasy. Crutchfield carries it, as well as Amazon which is where I got this one from. It covers Durangos from 2004-2007, and Dakotas from 2005-2007.

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
That's great to know, thanks for the update!

So this particular harness I assume has six pairs of wires that you have to connect, right? Front, rear, and two subs?

·
Ole Gray Beard
13 Posts
It covers several other vehicles too, so it has alot of wires. 204" of them as a matter of fact. The speaker wires are the standard colors, and it has the tweeter wires too. I hooked them up to the 2 front speaker wires so they work with the system. I cut the harness to 5', which was too long, and still had 12' of wire left!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If yall want we can make these for you $25 + shipping. We have a crap ton of thoes plugs and when we do it we changed all the wires to green, white, grey, purple, Red, Black so when you go to wire up a 4 channel amp you dont have to pin try to find out what is what. You can just shoot me a msg on here if you would like one.

PS this works on the 2001 durango as well.
I would like you to make me one for my 03 Durango, everything I have read says it should work. My email address is [email protected]
Please send me details. I would prefer to pay you with an E transfer. Of course I will send the money first. And I will pay for rush delivery as well. Let me know either way please.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
I would like you to make me one for my 03 Durango, everything I have read says it should work. My email address is [email protected]
Please send me details. I would prefer to pay you with an E transfer. Of course I will send the money first. And I will pay for rush delivery as well. Let me know either way please.
Thanks.
What make and model speakers did you install?
Neither of those users have logged in for over 3 years. It is highly unlikely you'll get a response from them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I upgraded my entire sound system in my 00 Dakota without bypassing the factory amp, and took out the infinity system that was in it. But all of my new pioneer speaker sound distorted, and I have to turn the new pioneer hu up over half way just to get it to a decent volume so I can hear it good.

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
That's because you didn't bypass the amp.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was just poking around this thread, then went out and yoinked the trim pieces out of my 00, and that amp is in there, and wired up. The PO paid someone to pull the Infinity factory speakers and replaced them with Polk 2 ways. I haven't dug into a door yet, but other than way too much treble, they sound pretty ok. What was the impedance on the factory stuff, and anyone ever heard of Polk making a matching set of 2 ways? Anyone know how the tweeter in the top of the door works? Just a cap inline or is there a real cross over? I'd like to get a new head unit in here, listening to CDs is for the birds.

241 - 260 of 288 Posts