Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not to change topic but......I just replaced, basically, my entire front brake system (pads, rotors, lines, calipers, master cyl, booster). My pads are dragging and bleeding doesn't seem to solve the issue.

I didn't know about lubing the adapter plates.

How likely could lubing the plates resolve the issue?

Btw....nice write up. I opted for Wagner heavy duty pads all around, an hd drilled slotted rotors After finding the stock pads insufficient. Hd pads are noticibly an improvement, but the new master cylinder and brake booster REALLY made the difference. With 100k miles, these components seemed to make the most improvement.

rockAuto had the BEST deals on everything.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well put together. Thank you.
Can someone do a quality how to equivalent to this for the rear drums? Including determining what size drum (in ").

Really, if you pick up a chiltons guide and do one wheel at a time, you will be fine. I hadn't done drum brakes in about 15 years. Used the Chilton guide, watched a YouTube vid and it was pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyone have their own favourite combo that works, lasts and is quiet?
I have ABS front rotors and drum rears. These trucks simply dont stop, so I did Heavy Duty Wagner pads, and Heavy duty rotors as well (but I cant recall the brand....Centric maybe?) Drilled /slotted. All from rock auto

The truck stops now.

Whatever you do, dont get the generic knock off's. Spend the money, get the brand name.

Just be sure that the retention spring does not lift the pad so high that a portion of the pad is above the rotor. I had that issue on the first set of pads I installed and soon got a grinding noise as the pad wore. Had to install a second set and had to bend the spring a bit so it fit right. Its all good now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.