Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Twist left (counterclockwise) and pull when loose.

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
isnt there also a retaining ring? mine has one.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
There might be, just squeeze them with your fingers when you turn. Pop the hood and look behind the light assemblies, you will see where they are wired in, that is IT.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Really the easiest was is to pull the housing off. One torx for the corner light and three bolts for the headlight. It only takes a couple minutes.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
I can't beleive it took 5 replies to get the right answer on this topic...

As mentioned, there is a single torx head screw that holds the turnsignal/corner light in place. Its at the lower, outer corner of each headlamp. T-10 is the correct size.

Remove that screw, pull the light straight out and twist the three bulbs 1/4 turn to remove from housing. Three bolts secure the headlight to the body, 10mm socket for this. Pull it out, change the bulb and reinstall.

Before anyone says: "Just reach in there and change the fucker...duh"

Depending on the engine/trans installed, you may or may not have a clear shot at the passenger side bulb. The driver side is doable...but it's just not worth the hassle and possibility of getting something on the bulb and burning it up.

·
Armed and Dangerous
2,475 Posts
It says right in your owner's manual how to take the headlight assemblies off to replace bulbs.

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Have the dealer do it for you :jester:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I can't beleive it took 5 replies to get the right answer on this topic...

As mentioned, there is a single torx head screw that holds the turnsignal/corner light in place. Its at the lower, outer corner of each headlamp. T-10 is the correct size.

Remove that screw, pull the light straight out and twist the three bulbs 1/4 turn to remove from housing. Three bolts secure the headlight to the body, 10mm socket for this. Pull it out, change the bulb and reinstall.

Before anyone says: "Just reach in there and change the fucker...duh"

Depending on the engine/trans installed, you may or may not have a clear shot at the passenger side bulb. The driver side is doable...but it's just not worth the hassle and possibility of getting something on the bulb and burning it up.
I think its tougher for people with big hands to reach in their to the back of the bulb, than those with small hands (me!) and IIRC their was a retainer clip that twists off at the same time and that makes it a PITA to get it out, and back together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2004 Dakota my owners manual instructions are backwards. The turn signal lens needs to be removed first then the head light.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I have a 2004 Dakota my owners manual instructions are backwards. The turn signal lens needs to be removed first then the head light.
Very easy to remove the turn signals, just remove the little torx screw in the corners between the headlight and turn lens unsnap from the rubber seal by the radiator, slide them out carefully, twist and undo the bulb sockets.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts