Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting either an R/T or a QC, and it depends on how strong the automatic transmission is.

I'm growing weary of shifting so I would like to go automatic, but if the R/T will blow through its transmission when rough housing then I'd rather go QC and just not drive hard.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If im not mistaken they all have the same POS transmission. But i have been wrong in the past.
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the transmission is just complete ass and I might as well go manual R/T?

Or is it atleast respectable enough for light driving in the QC with occassional towing ( less than 2000lbs no doubt, but long trips )
 
9

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
loco3kgt said:
So the transmission is just complete ass and I might as well go manual R/T?

Or is it atleast respectable enough for light driving in the QC with occassional towing ( less than 2000lbs no doubt, but long trips )
No such thing as manual R/T..... the only way to get a manual in a Dakota is behind the 4.7. The auto behind the 4.7 (and the hemi in the Rams) is a diff design than the unit behind the 360.

I would not be afraid of the autos.. I have put 110k HARD miles on the 518 in my 94 with the 5.2 and with maint it has been great for me. IMO.. Chrysler has some of the best designed autos on the market. It sounds the problem has been when they moved over to the electronic controls for them.
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since I'm looking for a newer (99+) Dakota, I'll be getting one with the newer electronic controls right?

I'm not as mechanically savy as I'd like to be. What's the maintainence on an automatic transmission involve?

(I've got a 95 3000GT w/ manual 5 speed, all I do is check the fluid. 98k miles and no noises or problems)
 
9

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
loco3kgt said:
Since I'm looking for a newer (99+) Dakota, I'll be getting one with the newer electronic controls right?

I'm not as mechanically savy as I'd like to be. What's the maintainence on an automatic transmission involve?

(I've got a 95 3000GT w/ manual 5 speed, all I do is check the fluid. 98k miles and no noises or problems)
So many people are afraid of an automagic.....

If you get a 99 or newer you would get an electronic controlled version of the 518 in my truck which is basically a 727 with a O/D unit stuck on the back. One of the best trannys.... check out the tranny behind most big block mopar muscle cars including Hemis and if it's an auto, it's a 727.

Maint on the auto is really simple but messy. 30k miles drain the fluid, drop the pan, remove old filter, install new filter, reinstall pan with new gasket, follow instructions on torque for the bolts, fill tranny with Chrysler ATF+3..... run thru gears with engine running, check fluid and drive! Repeat every 30k. I have went longer periods but the fuild was not burnt and my shifts are good.

More questions, let me know!
T:D
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
94 SLT said:
check out the tranny behind most big block mopar muscle cars including Hemis and if it's an auto, it's a 727.
727 as in Boeing, right?

So I'll just look for a Dakota R/T CC. Quad Cab would be cool, but the shorter bed deters me from the getgo. I want to be able to throw a motorcycle in the back and still have the tailgate up.
 
9

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
loco3kgt said:


727 as in Boeing, right?

So I'll just look for a Dakota R/T CC. Quad Cab would be cool, but the shorter bed deters me from the getgo. I want to be able to throw a motorcycle in the back and still have the tailgate up.
No the tranny is an a-727 torqueflite... the 727 is the number, they also made torqueflites with the following numbers used behind other applications:
727-B big block apps (361,383,400,413,426,440)
727-A LA appications (273,318,340,360)
904-A LA appications see above
904-slant six appications
500 early OD tranny behind 3.9 and 5.2 V8
518 OD tranny behind later 5.2 and 5.9 V8
618 OD tranny behind the 8.0 V10 and cummins diesel

I don't know the numbers on the elect versions of these. Sorry....

T :woowoo: :wave:
 

·
Scared? We're all scared
Joined
·
168 Posts
46RE is the name of the elect version of the 518
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well from what the idiot Dodge tech at the dealership said that I've got a 46RE as well hooked up to my 4.7L. Course I don't trust anything that monkey says. He told me that since my driver side window wouldn't roll down that it was something else besides the motor and gears and that he didn't know how to fix it. Makes you wonder sometimes. Where at exactly does it say on the tranny what the number is? I don't want a 46RE if its gonna do what Steve's and a couple of the other guys did.
 
9

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SSRage said:
Well from what the idiot Dodge tech at the dealership said that I've got a 46RE as well hooked up to my 4.7L. Course I don't trust anything that monkey says. He told me that since my driver side window wouldn't roll down that it was something else besides the motor and gears and that he didn't know how to fix it. Makes you wonder sometimes. Where at exactly does it say on the tranny what the number is? I don't want a 46RE if its gonna do what Steve's and a couple of the other guys did.
An engineer at the mopar tranny plant in Indiana said this and I quote him "45RFE for the trucks and Jeeps behind the 3.7L/4.7L and 5.7L engines." I think the early 4.7 might have the 46re....

I had the dealer run a VIN check to get the details on my truck.

If you think the dodge trannys are bad... get to know ford AODs.

Travis
 
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually I've ran ford all my life until this truck and haven't had any problems. course ive only had F250's with diesels and automatics in them. The diesels don't tear up tranny's if you drive them sanely. My mustangs got a stick in it so that doesn't apply. And I know the older dodge tranny's are good before they switch over too the electronic stuff. I've just heard alot of people bitch about the tranny's behind there newer 5.2's and 5.9's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Yeah I agree. the Ferd AOD's blow. My buddy is running a few extras under the hood, nothing special but has it in the 13's, and he blows his tranny every few thousand miles. He supposedly gets it rebuilt "bulletproof" then blows it..HAHA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
504 Posts
:slice:


Wow what a post.

The stock 727 is rock solid and is proven technology. After market parts are abundant and it does not take a lot to really jazz up a 727. I would never be afraid of one of these transmissions. I have seen them take tons of abuse and continue to run strong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
727'S Why would you use anything else???

HI,
I've been running Mopar's all my life. The 727 can take anything you can dish out to it. As long as it's a fresh clean great rebuild or new. Second hand trannies....well be careful. I've run these on the street,and strip. I've never had one break. Hemi's have been pounding them for years. And i'm almost positive that is was one of the first they used for drag racing on the big blocks.
Now 904's...i wouldn't touch with a twenty foot poll.....they stink
and can't take much abuse.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top