Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here is my story. I've got an extended cab R/T. I dropped it 4/4 with a Western kit and love it, but I only had about 3/4 of an inch clearance in the front. It was 2" drop springs with 2" drop c-arms. Definitely didn't cut it for North Dakota roads. At any rate I installed the stock springs again and it went up an inch like I expected but it's too much. I want to go down about a half inch in the front. How much of the coil should I cut off to do so? And are you looking at the coil from the top when you say this? So half a coil would be about 180 degrees off of the top coil right? Sorry this is such newb stuff but my truck looks like crap now and I don't even want to drive it until it get lowered again in the front.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never, ever, ever, cut your coils, that is one of the worst mods that you can make to your vehicle. It is extremely unsafe, and can cause the springs to fail while you are driving.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
cutting your coils will make them brittle. It'll crack somewhere down the road. I'm talking from experience on this one. spend the extra $$$ and buy new ones. JMO :stop:

·
Old Timer
1,270 Posts
Saint said:
Never, ever, ever, cut your coils, that is one of the worst mods that you can make to your vehicle. It is extremely unsafe, and can cause the springs to fail while you are driving.
I 2nd that, seen bad things from cut springs :nono:

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Coil cutting

You can use a cut off wheel,I would'nt do more than 2" at a time. You can always cut more if you don't get the stance your looking the first time. But if you go wild and cut to much off at once there toast. NEVER-NEVER USE A TORCH.

·
Old Timer
1,270 Posts
DALE said:
You can use a cut off wheel,I would'nt do more than 2" at a time. You can always cut more if you don't get the stance your looking the first time. But if you go wild and cut to much off at once there toast. NEVER-NEVER USE A TORCH.
>>>>>>:nono:<<<<<<

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Cut coils

Been there,done that. More than once, Never had a single problem. Cutting torch--Big problem. P.S. Older than [Old Timer]

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright guys, I appreciate the info. Looks like I'll just penny up and buy a new set. :dammit:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts