Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking a buying a Gen III 3.9L Dakota Ext. Cab :drive: , for cheap so it will most likely have some miles on it. What should I look for in and on the motor for wear? How much wear should I be willing to live with?

Thanks for your help and input.

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
the 3.9 is a pretty stout little motor. should easily get 209K outta it. the tranny if it was taken care of, well over 100K, pay more attention to the front end as we are all aware of the ball joint fiasco,.

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
Just depends on how it was taken care of ...mine now has 215k on it and its a 98 still orginal tranny but not orginal engie (my fault) The used engine now has 75k on it and the old had 160k on before I blew it .. but like he said check out the front end good .. I have replace the bushings for the control arms a few times and now need to replace the lower bushings but not bad considering it has 215k and the lowers are orginal...

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Don't worry about the engine

The magnum engines are tough as hell. As are the transmissions our dakota's have. I'd be more concerned about the ball joints. My truck (3.9 liter) runs strong and the transmission is sound. However my ball joints (upper and lower) need to be replaced. Also my RPM gauge chooses when it works. Think it might be linked to another sensor (possibly due to my exhaust leak (my fault)). Otherwise...my muffler's shot. Um...couple of my shocks squeak. It really is a good truck. Take care of it and it'll run you to 200,000 no problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts