Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I drive with two feet
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For many years I towed my toyhauler and was accustomed to my usual (at best) 8MPG. I figured this was as good as I was gonna get so I didn't whine about all the gas it took me to get somewhere.

While taking my usual Labor Day camping trip it seemed to me that my trailer was really hard to pull despite it not being loaded down with dirt riding toys. Before I took it out on my next trip I decided to check/adjust my trailer brakes.

Well, was I ever surprised! The two left wheels drug so badly that they wouldn't spin one full rotation with a hard push. The right side wheels hardly had any drag on them. After adjusting them properly my next trip (loaded with dirt riding toys) gave me 9.4MPG. My Christmas trip (no riding toys, no stiff hills to climb, Dwight's modified 65mm TB) gave me 10.4MPG. I'm happy... :mullet:

B

·
0 Posts
For many years I towed my toyhauler and was accustomed to my usual (at best) 8MPG. I figured this was as good as I was gonna get so I didn't whine about all the gas it took me to get somewhere.

While taking my usual Labor Day camping trip it seemed to me that my trailer was really hard to pull despite it not being loaded down with dirt riding toys. Before I took it out on my next trip I decided to check/adjust my trailer brakes.

Well, was I ever surprised! The two left wheels drug so badly that they wouldn't spin one full rotation with a hard push. The right side wheels hardly had any drag on them. After adjusting them properly my next trip (loaded with dirt riding toys) gave me 9.4MPG. My Christmas trip (no riding toys, no stiff hills to climb) gave me 10.4MPG. I'm happy... :mullet:
What! No credit to the modified TB? :huh: :jester:

·
I drive with two feet
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What! No credit to the modified TB? :huh: :jester:
That helped the power, and probably the MPG because it's helped non-towing MPG. Sorry. It's in the credits now...

(my own thread-jack) My TPS is going bad, I am getting spurious P0206, P0207 errors, which may be hurting my MPG a bit, as the idle speed is very slow to fall.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
My bro's 04 Dakota (same thing as mine) got around 10mpg average pulling a 6500lbs sail boat. Its completely stock, mine is too for the most part.

·
Loud is NOT Fast
1,768 Posts
When I had my 92 with a 318/46RH I got anywhere between 13-16mpg pulling pretty much anything.

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts

Well, was I ever surprised! The two left wheels drug so badly that they wouldn't spin one full rotation with a hard push. The right side wheels hardly had any drag on them. After adjusting them properly my next trip (loaded with dirt riding toys) gave me 9.4MPG. My Christmas trip (no riding toys, no stiff hills to climb, Dwight's modified 65mm TB) gave me 10.4MPG. I'm happy... :mullet:

u got dirt scooters?

·
I drive with two feet
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just towed my empty (no dirt toys) trailer to Santa Maria via US 101. Running on 7 cylinders I got 7.8MPG. Crap!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Gawd, y'all are getting killed when it comes to towing MPG. Dad towed a 2000lb trailer down to Florida and towed it back carrying roughly a 4000lb bullitt mustang and didn't get 10MPG. With roughly 6000lbs I think he got like 16.6MPG (course he was running 93). That's in his 03 Dakota QC and all the mods he has is a Superchip (performance tune) and Magnaflow 3" cat-back.

·
I drive with two feet
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These are great engines, but they drink a lot of gas when being worked hard. Last summer I took a road trip to NC via Interstate 40. I was pulling an 18 foot car trailer with my daughter's Jeep loaded with all of her belongings on it. Total weight of the rig was 12,150 pounds. Depending on the grades I got 13-15 MPG. There is a lot to be said for the wind drag from a high profile trailer.

·
Let it SNOW!
4,152 Posts
With roughly 6000lbs I think he got like 16.6MPG (course he was running 93). That's in his 03 Dakota QC and all the mods he has is a Superchip (performance tune) and Magnaflow 3" cat-back.
smells like bullshit to me. my QC with the 4.7 has superchips, 68mm tb, 3" cat back, and k&n intake. i get 16mpg with only me in the truck and towing nothing.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
smells like bullshit to me. my QC with the 4.7 has superchips, 68mm tb, 3" cat back, and k&n intake. i get 16mpg with only me in the truck and towing nothing.
No BS--- I used to own Dad's 03 QC and got about 18MPG normally. He gets close to 22 MPG normally, but he has an interesting way of driving. He tries to get his worth out of every drop of gasoline in that thing.

Plus, I have a 2001 QC w/ the 4.7 has superchip, 3" cat-back, jeep tcm swap, bad precats and a almost totally clogged 3rd cat and I still get about 16-17MPG. I used to get 18-19MPG when the 01 had just a superchip and 3" cat-back.

·
Let it SNOW!
4,152 Posts
oh yeah, i just remembered that i have a bad o2 sensor. hahahaha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts