Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
I had my 97 at around 70+ MPH doing some insane offroad racing.... It was like autocross and snow mixed together... and a windy snow covered dirt road... The T case was hummin rather loudly, and I swapped out the fluid the next day... but I didn't notice any problems. the way I see it, Jeeps and Rango's have that fulltime 4x shit, they can go down the highway, why can't I drive fast in 4 Hi?

·
Blown and Squirted
2,513 Posts
Only one way to find out...

Our 5.9 Jeep Grand Cherokeer is full time AWD and has seen over 110mph....
Same thing goes for the Rango R/Ts. But if you have 2wd availible, at those speeds, your better off in 2wd anway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know you can shift INTO 4H at 80 miles an hour so I don't see why you can't drive faster than that in it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
A couple of years ago I was on the highway. They only had the right lane opened up. The left lane was still untouched, so I jumped out into the left and cranked it up to 75 in 4-hi. I drove that way for about 17 miles untill I jumped off my exit. I never had any problems with the truck, so it can't be to bad.

I can't stand it when people only go about 25 when their lane isn't even snow covered.

·
Registered
35 Posts
broke dads truck

i was driving to a girlfriends house about 40 min away when the roads were covered with snow and a little ice. i kept his 95 chevy 1500 in 4x4 hi and by the time i got there i didn't have 4x4 any more. i don't remember what part burnt up but i got stuck trying to get out of her driveway and couldn't get into 4x4. i noticed the light was off half way there.
my advice is be careful. the awd have a limited slip differential in the center and are made to go many many miles. 4x4 lock is not!

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
jasonsdakota said:
i don't remember what part burnt up...
Probably the front differential actuator. Common failure on GM trucks. Luckily our trucks don't have that problem as we don't have CAD (central axle disconnect). I also LOVe having a manual shift level for the transfercase... :biggthump

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.