Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone explain the 4x4 system I have for me....have an 02 SXT 4x4...it has a "knob" which you can turn from 2 wheel to "4 lock". Here's the thing....it is supposed to have an indicator light to tell you if it's in 2 or 4, but mine doesn't light for either.

I looked under and had someone else slowly pull forward and back with the knob in both positions, and it seems to me the front driveshaft was spinning in both positions.

So how is it supposed to work? Would the front driveshaft normally spin in 2 wheel drive? If so, do we have some kind of automatic locking front axle or hubs?

Thanks

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Our 4wd system is pretty simple. I'll explain a few other things while I'm at it...

Some trucks (older ones) have lockout hubs, ours don't. Those are when you have to get outside of the truck and lock in to engage 4wd.

Some trucks have a CAD (Central Axle Disconnect) system which use an actuator (usually pnumatic) to engage two seperate axle shafts found on the passanger side (the long side). Ours also don't have this.

This means that our 4wd system is always moving, hence why your driveshaft always spins. It needs to be spinning to engage in 4wd, or else you'd need to stop completely each time to engage 4wd. The driveshaft spinning is what allows you to engage "on-the-fly".

Your transfercase is controlled by an actuator. I'm not sure whether it's electronic or pnumatic, since my truck has the lever. Lever actuated is obviously electronic and pnumatic free.

·
Cody W
7,035 Posts
get on a gravel road and gun it. Then go back and see if there are 2 tire marks or if all four dug in. Im sure you will be able to tell by how much the rear end comes out when you are doing this if its working or not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
blu02 said:
So how can I check if my 4x4 works or not?
OR, just put it in 4WD, and turn real sharp? You should have a noticable difference when in 2 and 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
48 Posts
lilguido1 said:
The other way...
-wait until it rains
-go to friends house, or persons house that you do not like all that much
-make sure they have a nice, grassy front yard
-after you've checked your 4wd capabilities...switch to 2wd and GTFO

Get the picture
Forgot about that one...I'd say go ahead with that one. That way your sure it works LMAO...

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
TJ318 said:
OR, just put it in 4WD, and turn real sharp? You should have a noticable difference when in 2 and 4 wheel drive.

do not do this as this binds up the front knuckle(is that right) and can damage something. you can put it in 4wd on dry surface . what I do on a long streach to keep the syatem lubed up. but put it in 4lo and mash the gas. it shoudl tach up quick and go slow. but in 4hi just gun it a lil and if it dont spin then the system works. I can tell a difference in 4wd from 2wd by the steering feels alot stiffer in 4wd.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently had this problem with my 01 durango, the selector switch did not light up in any position and I had no 4wd, I messed with it for weeks, finally I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it. It was the 4wd controll module that shorted out. The parts manager told me this is a comon thing to short out on the newer rigs. the original ones had a factory recall and if you took it in they were suppose to "reprogram" this module. Mine shorted out!!! It left me stranded and it was not fun! It is a little blue box about the size of a deck of cards, where it is I don't know. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is 99 Durango and is has no indicator light for 4wd, the owners manual only shows and idicator light or the models that had the options for full time and part time all wheel drive, so I assume the just the 4wd models didn't come with indicator lights mine has a manual operated transfer case anyway so I can feel when I shift from 2 to 4wd.

·
Premium Member
9,487 Posts
Nice zombie thread.. Almost 9 years old! :D :D For future reference, if you have a question but the existing thread is this old, just make your own thread instead of bumping the old one. ;)

All pre-01 4WD models have an indicator of some sort on the dash. If you have a 4WD model (usually in 2WD), then there should be an amber light that says 4x4 LOCK coming on when it is in a 4WD position. If you have an AWD/full-time 4WD model, then there should be a GREEN light that says 4x4 LOCK, and it turns amber when in a LOCK position.

If you have no light at all, you have a blown fuse, broken wire, or bad switch on the transfer case. I'm pretty sure they were using LEDs for the cluster indicators in 99, so a burned out bulb is unlikely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.