Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Mopar Performance round air element with a 3" tall K&N filter for my 01' Durango R/T because I read on here that most guys were using 14x3 open elements. The MP filter is only 12.75" round and that sits right against my hood seal in back. I also could not get the 3" tall filter to work. I had to run to the auto parts store and get a SA305 STP paper filter that is 12.75 x 2.75 and that fits very snuggly with no room to spare. Are you guys using a different base plate that offsets and sits the filter lower? I'm just wondering if I can buy a different baseplate and use my 3" K&N or if I need to get a 2.75" K&N and sell the one I have. I also put a nice breather cap on the breather tube that was connected to the stock intake hat -- man was that a pain to get out of the valve cover. I spent half an hour trying to get it out and broke that little plastic elbow into a about 20 pieces (none of which fell in the valve cover opening!).

18,185 Posts
Where did you see that most guys are running a 14x3" filter under a stock hood?

The filter that came with my Mopar OEA fit just fine under my hood.... not sure how much clearance difference there is between a stock hood and my Keystone before I modified it.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
i run a 2.5inch on a 14inch offset base.

max you can have is 2.81inch on the offset base.

Reactions: WarrensD

·
Swap Meet Moderator
74,416 Posts

·
5.2-Toned SLT
1,699 Posts

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
Here is an K&N X-stream using a Moroso offset base, all under a reflections cowl hood. BTW, the cowl hood bracing is the same as a stock hood. No clearance issues.

·
Registered
333 Posts
more pics anyone?

·
<---1 of none!
6,583 Posts
I made the center of my hood taller...lol

·
Banned
25,820 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think my truck runs better with the Mopar Performance round filter setup. I had a pretty nice custom CAI that had the filter right behind the radiator too! It's not night-and-day different, but I still think it runs better with the round filter vs. CAI. I'm still running the paper style filter that came with MP setup. I have the 12.5" x 3.5" K&N I'm selling because it won't sit under the stock hood.

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
how does the 14x 3 work , same a cold air tubing or better??
Many say they lose performance due to the heat from the motor. There is truth to those statements. But what I did was cut holes out next to the radiator so fresh air can purge the engine bay. IMO, I've had both and the CAI and 14x3 are a wash regarding performance. Personally, I've always liked the look of the round air cleaner. Lends for a clean engine bay IMO.

·
Don't be &amp;quot;That Guy&amp;quot;
7,400 Posts
you guys with the 14s...where do you buy your filters at? got a good part number for the local part stores? or are they all ordered through Jegs/Summit, etc?

·
Registered
546 Posts
summit brand gauze filters are very inexpensive. I got a 2" one in combo with a chrome hat/base for $40. Looks tits compared to the stock dirty plastic elephant. A 2" is all my stock 318 realy needs anyway. It will hiss when the engine is cold, but it will warm up way quicker with the open element anyway, and when you punch it the roar from the engine bay is awsome... Like a second on-demand exhaust note.

and since you are in ohio summit will get you your stuff in a day or two.

Now that it's warming up I'll haveto look out for power loss. It realy seemed to like it in the winter though.

·
Don't be &amp;quot;That Guy&amp;quot;
7,400 Posts
Yea, I found what I needed at Autozone. just started picking up filter boxes and opening them up! guy came over "can I help you find something?" "yea, I need a 14" round air filter" "oh ok...what does it go to?" "um...the aftermarket 14" chrome air cleaner you have for sale on the shelf over there for $50, but I don't want the hole thing, just the filter element"

"oh. ok." and he walked away!:jester:

OH, and I prefer Jegs...the store is 5 minutes from my work, so I can walk in and get what I want, without paying the $10 shipping fee they put on everything.

Sucks getting hit for sales tax though, but even if I ordered stuff online, Jegs and Summit still hit us with sales tax since it's an Ohio sale...at least by walking in, I can save shipping fees.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I can fit a 14x4 under the Reflexxion hood, but I cut the bracing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts