Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tinkerer
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My durango wouldnt start so i swapped the pcm out with one from a v6 dakota and it ran although on 6 cyls instead of 8.I have the pcm with all the screws removed but cant figure out how to get it open with destroying it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm not sure why you'd want to open it, once the seal is broken its weather resistance won't last long. I'd find a V8 pcm and save yourself the trouble.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
It's basically held on with RTV. Get a small flat blade screw driver or something to pry up one of the edges and work it around to pry the cover off.

Not sure what you plan to accomplish by opening it up unless you just want to see what's inside. Which is a circuit board solder connected to the three connectors. I took mine apart to powdercoat the case. Just make sure to use some RTV to re-seal it to protect from moisture.

·
Tinkerer
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Because i can most likely fix the ecu and i can reseal it, but it doesnt look like it would come apart easily.I was going to trade the durango for a snowmobile but looks like that wont be happening.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
The case comes off easily. Once you get it open, it won't be easy to have access to both sides of the circuit board though. unless you desolder the connectors. Which if you have a solder station and know what you are doing isn't that hard.

·
Tinkerer
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The case didnt want to come off for me at all, my pcm is one of the motorolla ones that look like this.

The case is u shaped, it doesnt have sides that come off like some of the others ive seen.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
That's what mine looks like. Remove the four torx head screws you can see in the picture. Then get a knife or small flat blade screwdriver and starting in one of the corners start prying up around the edges. It's held on by RTV so doesn't just come right off, but you won't hurt anything prying on it to get it to come loose. But you need to work around the edge as you go, don't just try to lift it off from one corner.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Because i can most likely fix the ecu and i can reseal it, but it doesnt look like it would come apart easily.
I'm curious about what you plan to do to "fix" a V6 PCM to work on a V8? The circuits and their programming is different.

I was going to trade the durango for a snowmobile but looks like that wont be happening.
You would get the short end of the stick in that trade, in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts