Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
375 Posts
I just did this to my Durango. Came out good. I took someone else's suggestions and left the outer parts of the black grills there. I didn't cut the center slats yet but i'm going to. By leaving the outer parts there, where the plastic rivets are, it gives you something to anchor your grill to. I just used some screws to hold it on. Have you already cut your old grill out?

· Registered
375 Posts
Yeah i just used some self tapping metal screws and a small washer. Secures them nice. can't see them at all from the outside. and a clean look on the inside. Only thing is you're gonna have to make something up to release your hood.

· Registered
1,673 Posts
Dry time is a couple hours. When I did the truck, I left the grill shell off the truck overnight while it dried, and with the Neon grills, I used some string and misc items to keep tension on the pieces overnight.

It dries clear, and you should be able to get it anywhere. Check you local dept stores and grocery stores, or hobby shops.

It's very sticky and messy, but works great and comes off your fingers like rubber cement in a few minutes.

When I first installed my grills, I knew I wanted the mounting to be invisible, so I used a 2 part 5 minute epoxy. That worked well for about a week, but it dries rock hard, and the occasional opening of the hood was enough flex to break the inserts free.

Yes, I did use the same method to attach the lower grill.

Here are all the mounting points you need to remove to get the bumper cover off...

A - To access these 8 expanding plastic screws, you need to lift the hood and remove the corner lenses. Space is extremely limited. They are designed to unscrew, but I just used a special tool to pull them straight out. The tool is pictured below.

B - These are accessed from inside the wheel well, and I used a T25 Torx on them. It wasn't the perfect size, but it worked great.

C - These are more of the expanding plastic deals. Again, I just pulled them straight out.

D - These are push-in style things (love the technical terms here?) that are designed to be pulled straight out. They attach a rubber extension from the bottom of the bumper cover to another cover under the engine. When you are removing these, it's a good time to unplug the fog lights.

· Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
Really need to cut the stock grill outa my dakota and glue something in it's place. I got some nice gutter guard from HD that I wanna use, but until this thread I had no idea how I was going to mount it. I wanted to completely remove all the "crap" behind the chrome on the grill. (I want a grey mesh grill instead of my fadded to grey grill) This might work. How long has your grill been on this way? You ever do insane speeds (Like cruise at 100+MPH) cause it's going to HAVE to stand up to that on my truck haha

· Registered
1,673 Posts
This stuff will work great for you. I did it with Grill-Tech inserts on the Dak, but for the Neon I used an aluminum material that the tuners use. I picked it up at my parts store, paid WAAAY too much for it, but it works great.

It was $35 for a section about a foot wide and 3-4 feet long. It's very similar to the Gutter Guard stuff, but easier to bend.

I cut out oversized pieces, held them in place over the back of the opening and bent over the edges as needed to conform to the shape of the hole. It also gave me more surface area to apply the Shoe Goo.

A side note, although you will see as you do it. You can e as messy as you like with the Shoo Goo. No one can se it unles your hood is up.

· Registered
159 Posts
custom grill top

I just put mine on my rango the same way that a couple other people did, with little screws and washers into the outer ring and than cut out the grill. When you cut the grill out put a flame to a razor blade and then cut. It cuts smooth and this way you wont cut too hard and scratch the grill! Now I need to figure how to do the bottom grill. I'm not to fond of the epoxy idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.