Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7L V8 Magnum Project Truck
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace my water pump right now in my 02 4.7, but I have no idea how to get the fan off. I know the make special fan removal tools, but if at all possible I would prefer to not spend the money on it. I already have the fan cover/coolant and washer fluid reservoir off so there's a little more room.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I used the serpentine belt to hold the pulley, put a large crescent wrench on the fan nut, smacked wrench with a 5 lb sledge.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's similar to what I was trying to do (the guy on youtube made it look easy lol), except I'm not sure what you mean about the serpentine belt. Do you mean just the belt? Also what wrench size do you use? I have 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 but it seems to be somewhere in between. I guess it might be mm but I don't have any of those big enough so not sure.

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,495 Posts
The belt that wraps around all the pulleys is known as a serpentine belt. Those are typically flat on one side and groved on the other.

Older engines used a "V" belt set, like my 1988.

A "Cresent" wrench is an adjustable wrench; one such as this one: 15 in. Adjustable Jumbo Wrench

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohhhhhh, that makes sense now! Thanks for clearing that up!

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
242 Posts
It's undoubtedly a metric size. Don't use a crescent if you can help it. You risk chewing up the nut. A metric socket set will serve you well all over the Dak.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have at least 5 metric socket sets scattered all over the place lol! But for the fan that won't work. Crescent wrench did the job no problem, I know for most things they tend to strip though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's without a doubt a measurement size. Try not to utilize a sickle on the off chance that you can support it. You hazard biting up the nut. A metric attachment set will work well for you everywhere on the Dak.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
242 Posts
It's without a doubt a measurement size. Try not to utilize a sickle on the off chance that you can support it. You hazard biting up the nut. A metric attachment set will work well for you everywhere on the Dak.
That seems like a very bad double translation of my earlier post.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts