Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I bleed MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What we are looking at is a '98 Dakota 3.9 2wd

It has 15" rims and some off brand crappy tires.

I am looking for something it hook up in the snow.

Last winter driving home from work was a little scary. Fish tailing between three lanes of traffic is not my idea of a good time.

I know if I really wanna hook up I need a 4x4 but I dont have the means.

Anyway Since the winter I have put in a LSD.

So I am hoping that will give me some better tracktion.

So I leave it to you guys how big can I go?

At work we sell some 30x9.5R15 alltterain. I can get them for a steel.

Would those rub up front?

Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks Kevin

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Big tires aren't necessarily better. On a 2wd it means pushing a lot more snow with those undriven wheels. Snow also piles up in front of the rear wheels and in wet snow it sucks. Usually a standard size tire rated for snow is the best. The down side to snows like the Blizzak is that they wear out faster on dry pavement. The only other option is to look for the best All Season tire. Off road tires usually make poor snow tires. They may or may not get you going quicker but they rarely help when it comes to braking.

·
I bleed MOPAR!!!!!!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not looking to oof road or anything and understand what you mean with bigger tires means even worse traction.

I know a guy with a lifted jeep and big tire the hole setup. Says his jeep is all over the place in the snow.

I am just trying to stay on the road.

So are all season tires the way to go?
Kevin

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Whether you go all season or snows is a matter of personal preference and or finances. Then again, convenience is a good enough reason for me to use all season tires. My personal preference would be to have a seperate set of mounted snows. I put a body kit on my dak and I don't plan on driving it in the snow next year. Check out places like tirerack.com for more information on ratings and prices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts