Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bringing up a question posted by SuperDakotaman back in Dec.04. Why is the Hotckis swaybars hollow? Wouldn't a solid bar give it more rigidity? They sell their bars in 1 7/16" fronts and 7/8" rears. I measured by factory Durango front swaybar over the weekend and found out it's about 1 5/16" solid bar. Now if Energy Suspension or Prothane carry polyurethane bushings for my front swaybars, I certainly hope that my Durango can achieve the same or close to the handling that Hotchkis achieves. I went with solid 7/8" Hellwigs in the rear and noticed that their endlinks are adjustable since I wanted to lower my rear only 2". Curious why Hotchkis only offers swaybars for stock height and 2/3" drops. Any response would be appreciated.

Joshua

· Premium Member
5,240 Posts
47SLTDuRide said:
Just bringing up a question posted by SuperDakotaman back in Dec.04. Why is the Hotckis swaybars hollow? Wouldn't a solid bar give it more rigidity? They sell their bars in 1 7/16" fronts and 7/8" rears. I measured by factory Durango front swaybar over the weekend and found out it's about 1 5/16" solid bar. Now if Energy Suspension or Prothane carry polyurethane bushings for my front swaybars, I certainly hope that my Durango can achieve the same or close to the handling that Hotchkis achieves. I went with solid 7/8" Hellwigs in the rear and noticed that their endlinks are adjustable since I wanted to lower my rear only 2". Curious why Hotchkis only offers swaybars for stock height and 2/3" drops. Any response would be appreciated.

Joshua
The Hotchkis system is a sport suspension package, it is not just a mix of pieces for dropping the vehicle in various increments. Their engineers claim that the system was carefully engineered and tested for maximum handling performance, the fact that it gives a 2"/4" drop was just coincidence for achieving maximum handling benefits. Their parts were engineered as a single package, they do not make parts to be installed with other manufacturer's products.

I can't answer technical questions about the sway bars dimensions, but I can tell you from first-hand experience that my '03 with the Hotchkis does a much much better job at handling turns than my '01 without Hotchkis can.

G

·
This might explain the bars being hollow but im not sure. I do know that typically a hollow tube will be stroger than a solid tube. A good example is bamboo.

· Registered
118 Posts
47SLTDuRide said:

Joshua

Here's the abbreviated reason:

Original Hotchkis kits used a solid bar (super heavy)--- they found that a LARGER diameter Hollow bar was both lighter, and STRONGER. It's actually a double benefit.

Over 100 kits sold here.

Sam
www.socaldakota.com
619-274-1292

:wave:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.